Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Do all Brown ales overcarbonate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Do all Brown ales overcarbonate?

I've brewed a few brown ales over time. The ones I put in keg, turn out perfect. However, all the ones I put in bottles end up over carbonated. I typically use 3/4 cup corn sugar in a 5 gallon batch. Then store around 70degrees until they are ready. About two weeks. They stay at this temp, maybe a few degrees lower until I stick them in the fridge a day or two before I drink them. My other recipes...pales, wheat, etc dont have this problem. Anyone else experience this? I'm wondering why I'm just getting this with my brown ales.

"I enjoy a pint of beer each night for its health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves." -unknown

Primary: None
Kegged: American Wheat, Sierra Nevada clone, American Amber, ESB, Hoppy blonde, Pliney the Toddler, and Simcoe IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 53

nope, nothing in a brown ale would make it bottle condition any differently than any other style. You should consider measuring your priming sugar by weight instead of the old 3/4 cup method. Use beersmith if you have it, or one of the free ones such as this: http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/ Hopefully that will help you nail down the exact CO2 volumes you are looking for per the style.

Primary: English Gold
Secondary: 2013 Dark Stock (on oak), Wee Heavy on oak
Bottled: Sir Suspicious Oatmeal Stout, Victorious Brown Ale, Wee Rambunctious Scotch/Belgian Hybrid

Old 10-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
waldzinator
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewmeisterSmith View Post
I've brewed a few brown ales over time. The ones I put in keg, turn out perfect. However, all the ones I put in bottles end up over carbonated. I typically use 3/4 cup corn sugar in a 5 gallon batch. Then store around 70degrees until they are ready. About two weeks. They stay at this temp, maybe a few degrees lower until I stick them in the fridge a day or two before I drink them. My other recipes...pales, wheat, etc dont have this problem. Anyone else experience this? I'm wondering why I'm just getting this with my brown ales.
I've made several Northern English brown ales, all of which I've bottled. Never had a problem with overcarbonation. According this site, the carbonation range for the style is 1.5 to 2.5 vols. If you go with the midpoint of the range, you're looking at 2.6 ounces of Corn Sugar. That works out to about 1/3 of a cup, I believe. I've always preferred my browns a little on the flatter side.

Na zdrowie!

Primary: I think I'm turning Japanese APA
Secondary: Chocolate Wheat Porter
Bottle: Wynona's Big Brown Ale Clone, Hefeweizen

Old 10-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Start weighing your priming agent instead of measuring by volume.

Use the online carb calculator linked above. Shoot for 2.4 volumes of CO2 for drink-at-home (non-competition) brew.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 281

i actually have noticed this same phenomenon (though maybe beginning at 2 months not 2 weeks in the bottle) and carbonate my dark beers with less priming sugar (like 2.5 ounces to a 5 gallon batch). conceivably it could be the yeast slowly working on the unfermentables that tend to be present in dark beers. or maybe it has something to do with the reduced presence of hops. or maybe it is all in my head, or maybe it is confirmation bias from those times when it has happened..

Old 10-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Do you use the same yeast for your Browns that you do for any other style? I'm wondering if the yeast might have something to do with it.

Kegged:
Golden Nugget Saison; Roggenbier
Secondary:
SMASH Citra Barleywine; Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout; RIS w/ Saison Yeast
Primary:
Lanier Porter
On Deck:
Barrel Aged Wee Heavy; Imperial IPA

Old 10-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 569 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I do a lot of brown ales and only one was slightly overcarbonated. I agree with priming to style and by weight instead of volume.

The amount of sugar might be the cause. I just looked at a calculator and an American brown was .6 cup of corn sugar and an English was .5 cup.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll have to start weighing out the priming sugar. It's weird. The brown ales are the only ones that see overcarbonating with this method. I use the same yeast US-05 for about all my batches. Sometimes Notty. Cheers.

"I enjoy a pint of beer each night for its health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves." -unknown

Primary: None
Kegged: American Wheat, Sierra Nevada clone, American Amber, ESB, Hoppy blonde, Pliney the Toddler, and Simcoe IPA

Old 10-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #9
Bigcorona
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I have this problem as well. I am suspecting an infection with some wild yeast. I let them ferment out for 4 weeks then bottle. I do not have this problem with cream ales or IPAs, but do with browns and stouts. Maybe more non-fermentables in the darker ales that over time a strange yeast does ferment? These are typically not finished off (drank) as fast as my lighter ales, so that may be a factor as well. I gave up on them for 8 months, but now have bottled one and have another on deck. Hope the problem is gone.

Quick Reply