Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Distributor - barb vs MFL

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
pretzelb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Distributor - barb vs MFL

I'm looking for a 4 way distributor and I'm stuck on deciding between a barb or MFL. It looks like if you go MFL you need barbed swivel nuts for all your hoses. Then if your disconnects are MFL you need more barbed swivel nuts. If your disconnects are barbed then it doesn't matter.

I'm wondering what practical benefit there is to MFL. I'm trying to see when it would come in handy since it seems like more work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 400 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Most of my connections are barb fittings. My portable stuff is MFL. The barbed fittings are easy to work with, but a pain in the ass to get off. The MfL fittings are easy to take the hoses apart. Basically that's why I went the barbed route in my keggerator (I never take them apart) and for my portable one, (which I disassemble because I use it a lot less) I went with the nut fittings.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I must've removed and connected my lines a few times per keg when first getting set up. Now that I am all dialed in, I'll probably only remove the lines for an annual cleaning and just flush them in place. That said, put me down in the MFL camp. I ordered barbed fittings and wound up sending them all back as they were such a pain.

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 10-20-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I have both MFL fittings at the distributor and at the disconnect. I would absolutely hate barb fittings at either location. I am always disconnecting them and changing things around. Obviously this is an opinion and your circumstances and preferences may be the complete opposite. I would look at your situation and see what works best for you.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
pretzelb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut_Monkey View Post
I have both MFL fittings at the distributor and at the disconnect. I would absolutely hate barb fittings at either location. I am always disconnecting them and changing things around. Obviously this is an opinion and your circumstances and preferences may be the complete opposite. I would look at your situation and see what works best for you.
Maybe I should ask the question differently...

Why would I need to switch around the gas lines?

With my limited experience I agree the barb connections are a royal pain but my assumption is that the keg is the only thing that I need to move around. To do that all I need to do is use the disconnects. Plus, I can't see a need to clean or change the gas lines. Sure the beer line needs cleaning and maybe replacement but do gas lines end up being replaced much?

I'm sure there is a good reason that I'm not seeing due to lack of experience. I'd hate to invest in a distributor and find out later I should have paid a bit more for the MFL because I didn't see something in the process.

Quick Reply