Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Dispensing a full keg at once, can I use air instead of co2?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #21
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

In order to bottle from the keg without losing most of the carbonation and making a mess, everything needs to be kept as cold as possible. By lowering the temperature and applying pressure, the solubility of O2 in the beer goes way up. How much will this oxidize the beer? I don't really know, but certainly enough to significantly reduce it's shelf life, and possibly worse. I wouldn't risk oxidizing my beer just to reduce sediment in the bottle, but that's just me.

Shelly_belly's suggestion seems like a good one to me. Those only cost ~$20, and cartridges are ~$2 each. You'd want an extra long line if you go that route though, since the cartridges will provide a little more pressure than is ideal for bottling.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #22
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
How much will this oxidize the beer? I don't really know,
I think the OP understands this. I believe that is what he is asking.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #23
leaf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

nm

Old 10-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #24
worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Yooper, has this Nonsmokingbandit fella fried you yet?
Condescending!!!!
Bandit, Yoopers not been trying to lead you astray. And you'll find, if you hang around, Yooper helps a lot of people on here. And, as far as "prissy"? Well... you may find something put about that as well! Hah

Old 10-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #25
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmokingbandit View Post
No need to get pissy. Anyone can tell from the quality of the post that he had actually taken time to respond rather than just spout off a bunch of stuff that doesn't even make sense.

Have a beer and relax.
It doesnt make sense that you SHOULDN'T oxygenate your beer? The answer to your question is simple, and it is this: Your idea is a bad one. Your beer MAY not suffer A LOT from this, but it WILL suffer. Oxygenation WILL happen. You are just asking for trouble, and for what?

Quote:
I'm just trying to avoid sediment in the bottle without spending more money
If you have enough yeast in the bottom of your bottles that is is bothering you, you are either sticking your racking cane RIGHT INTO the yeast, or you are super anal retentive.

No one is trying to lead you astray here by giving you bad information. Even if we can't give you details of "liquid dynamics", it doesn't mean that we don't know that OXYGEN WILL OXYGENATE BEER!

TL;DR? Your idea is a bad one.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #26
mcspanner
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 19

There's a product called Sed-Ex sediment catchers that might be what you need. You'll need to switch to screw top bottles and make returning the empties and caps a condition of your generosity when giving your friends the brews.

I haven't used them as the sediment doesn't bother me but YouTube says they work and YouTube doesn't lie.

They're certainly less complex and don't risk adding unwanted O2.

Scientifically speaking, alcohol IS a solution.....

Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #27
29thfloor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Does carbonating in a keg and then bottling prevent the little bit of yeast sediment that you get when bottle conditioning? I figured either way you'd need to run it through some kind of filter to get everything out.

Seems like a lot of extra work and expense to ultimately end up with bottled beer that will still probably have some sediment in it.

Secondary:
Kegged: Nothing :(
Bottled: Blonde Lambic (Aug 2012), Berliner Weisse, Oaked Tripel Brett, Dawson's Kriek, Sweet Mead

Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #28
worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29thfloor View Post
Does carbonating in a keg and then bottling prevent the little bit of yeast sediment that you get when bottle conditioning? I figured either way you'd need to run it through some kind of filter to get everything out.

Seems like a lot of extra work and expense to ultimately end up with bottled beer that will still probably have some sediment in it.
Yeah you don't get the itty bitty yeast cake on the bottom of the bottle that occurs during bottle conditioning.
However if you made a cloudy wheat beer, or a fruit beer (depending on the fruit) there will still be some small amount of solids that settle out to the bottom.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #29
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4954 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
No need to get pissy. Anyone can tell from the quality of the post that he had actually taken time to respond rather than just spout off a bunch of stuff that doesn't even make sense.
Sorry. Those who ask a question and don't like the answer, so dismiss that answer with an insult make me pissy.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #30
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4954 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29thfloor View Post

Actually, if you keg and condition in the keg, and then keep the keg cold and don't move it, you can dispense sediment free beer. Or at least, nearly sediment free, as there may be a very slight dusting of sediment in the bottom of the bottle. But when I've bottled from the keg, the bottles remain sediment-free and almost seem filtered. Of course, this means bottling only clear beer to begin with.

Normally, once you cold crash the keg it will get very clear. The first 3-4 ounces dispensed will have some sediment, but later pours will have none. If you bottle at that point with a beer gun (or the poorman's beergun, the BMBF: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-n...eer-gun-24678/) you can have a clear bottled beer with little-to-no sediment. They will stay perfectly carbonated, and will not have oxidation or any issues at all. You CAN filter, of course, before bottling but I've never found it necessary. I've bottled award-winning bottles with the Biermuncher Bottle Filler, with almost no additional cost!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply