New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Dishwasher sanitation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
McCuckerson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Dishwasher sanitation

Is there any way to sanitize bottles in a dishwasher? Perhaps adding sany solution to the dishwashing soap?

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Some dishwashers have a sanitation cycle which heats it up to NSF standards.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If you do use the dishwasher for sanitizing, you don't want to use any soap or drying agents. Just water. It is the heat that does the sanitizing in a dishwasher, not chemicals.

-a.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
If you do use the dishwasher for sanitizing, you don't want to use any soap or drying agents. Just water. It is the heat that does the sanitizing in a dishwasher, not chemicals.

-a.
Not having a dishwasher, I haven't fully looked, but I recall a really detailed thread with a lot of good info on what to and not to do when using it...Do a search for dishwasher or dishwasher sanitation to see...I know it had pictures...

I do recall that you are not supposed to se anything in the dishwahser, and iirc, you should run a cycle before you do it with the dishwasher empty beforehand to get out any remnants of soap, which will ruin head retention....To me it seems that your wasting electricity and water if you have to do that twice...when a few squirts with a sanitizer in a vinator is much quicker and uses less water/electricity.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What is a vinator?

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Old 10-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCuckerson View Post
What is a vinator?

Quote:
A great way to sanitize bottles quickly and easily. This unit will squirt a sanitizing solution into a bottle and then collect the solution for reuse. Just squirt bottle 3-4 times and put bottle on tree to dry. The fastest way to sanitize bottles. Can be used without bottle draining tree.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had been using the dishwasher for sanitizing bottles but my last couple of brews have had head retention issues. My last batch was bottled in StarSan sanitized bottles. If I could dedicate a dishwasher to bottle sanitizing, I would probably go back to it. Of course, the Vinator wold be a much less expensive alternative...

Old 10-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
bottle-o-jeff
Recipes 

I've used the dishwasher for all 8 batches I've bottled. No jet dry in the DW, no detergent used, and Ive had no head retention problems associated with my bottles.

I've also had no infections. I only run the DW once, and that is with the bottles.

Quick, easy, and if you keep it shut you can run it and have it sit for hours before bottling.

Side note: Any head retention issues I've had have come from pouring into glasses that came out of the dishwasher. If I pour into a plastic disposable cup, the head lasts and lasts.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Unfortunately, we always have Jet Dry in the DW since the dishes don't rinse well in this machine without... I have recently begun washing all beer glasses by hand to rule those out. I did use the DW as an ersatz bottle tree and bottling platform for easy clenup. I will see what the results of this batch are and may use the heat only with no rinse for the next batch.

Quick Reply