Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Disabling auto defrost

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
britebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Disabling auto defrost

Hello,

I have a haier kegerator with auto defrost on it. I have searched here and google and cannot find a thread on it, but I remember seeing somewhere about attaching a timer to the fridge and that will bypass the defrost. Does anyone know how long it has to be unplugged for this to happen?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 409 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If you disable the defrost, you are going to get ice buildup and have to manually defrost every 5-6 weeks or so, or else your kegerator isn't going to get very cold.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 36

A fellow brewer and I just had a discussion about this the other night as we're both getting ready to build new kegerators. We'll be using external temperature controllers on the freezers, so the power will be cut and restored to maintain the desired temperature. We were also wondering if this would be bypassing any defrost cycle as the freezer might not be running long enough for the cycle to kick in. My concern was that I had seen where defrost cycles can raise the temperature dramatically and I don't want my beer temp fluctuating that much.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/single-tier-3-pump-bcs-462-automated-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hacking-bcs-add-customized-web-pages-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upright-keezer-8-taps-11-kegs-371438/

Old 08-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #4
britebeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
A fellow brewer and I just had a discussion about this the other night as we're both getting ready to build new kegerators. We'll be using external temperature controllers on the freezers, so the power will be cut and restored to maintain the desired temperature. We were also wondering if this would be bypassing any defrost cycle as the freezer might not be running long enough for the cycle to kick in. My concern was that I had seen where defrost cycles can raise the temperature dramatically and I don't want my beer temp fluctuating that much.
Yes,

This is my problem. The defrost raised my beer temp 6+ degrees.

Quick Reply