Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Different size bottles = different amounts of priming sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
JiveTurkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Location: Corvallis (Heart of the [Willamette] Valley), Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Different size bottles = different amounts of priming sugar?

I bought a couple swing-top 2L growlers today. For each 5-gal batch, I plan to use one 2L growler, six 12-oz, one 22-oz, and the rest 500mL swing-tops (I think, 24 or so).

The guy at the LHBS said the large growlers might need a different (smaller?) amount of priming sugar? He didn't have a great explanation, just that he's heard from others that they tend to over-carbonate? How is that?

So far I've just been doing 500mL swing-tops and a couple 12-oz bottles I'm tucking away to try after a year. I've been brewing less than a year, so haven't experienced the effects of different bottle sizes.

Edit: I use dextrose for priming, which is mixed with all of the beer in the bottling bucket prior to bottling.

Aging for 1 Year: #1 LHBS Standard (Dry) Stout
In bottles: #2 Honing Wit (Belgian Wit Bier w/honey); #3 Be Hoppy, Not Bitter ("Oregon" Pale Ale: APA using Oregon-inspired ingredients and lots of late-addition/dry-hops); #4 American Red-Head (Irish Red made from American ingredients); #5 Student Power Orange Ale (Orange-hued amber ale for a wedding)
Primary: [n/a]
On deck: [Thinking about it]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

No, you use the same anount of sugar regardless of the vessel you are carbing in...You are bulk priming, dissolving your sugar solution into your beer, and then putting your beer in bottles, they yeast and beer, don;t know, nor care what size container they are landing in..though it will take longer for the larger vessels to carb. That's normal.

Oh BTW, if you are planning to carb in a growler, you are wasting beer. Growlers are not strong enough to handle the pressure of carnonating beer (it is a different process then taking ALREADY CARBED BEER FROM A KEG AND PUTTING IT IN A GROWLER.) Carbonating is a different amount of pressure than the volume of co2 in beer. You in a sense are forcing the built up co2 in the headspace back into the beer, and that is a delicate balance between the amount of co2 flooding into the headspace and the strength of the glass and the bottle cap. Keg carbed beer has already had that battle, that's why you can put keeged beer into a growler.

But most growlers are not meant to hold the amount of co2 required to carb an amount of beer.

look at this tread for inspiration...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/growler-goes-boom-63121/?highlight=boom

Use bottles not growlers.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Epiphanic Likes This 
Old 02-01-2010, 01:03 AM   #3
JiveTurkey
Recipes 

Location: Corvallis (Heart of the [Willamette] Valley), Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had read about exploding growlers. But it seems from that other thread that the ones I bought should work fine: http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/2-liter-growler-romantic-handle.html

Aging for 1 Year: #1 LHBS Standard (Dry) Stout
In bottles: #2 Honing Wit (Belgian Wit Bier w/honey); #3 Be Hoppy, Not Bitter ("Oregon" Pale Ale: APA using Oregon-inspired ingredients and lots of late-addition/dry-hops); #4 American Red-Head (Irish Red made from American ingredients); #5 Student Power Orange Ale (Orange-hued amber ale for a wedding)
Primary: [n/a]
On deck: [Thinking about it]

Old 07-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
docrw
Mastermind Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I have noticed different carbonation levels in different sized bottles so I think it has merit. I also like to give a genital roll over to the bottles after a week of carbonating and then a week after that cold crash the heck out of them before using that's 2 weeks at room temp and at least 2 more weeks in the fridge for lighter beer and 4 weeks (min) for darker or bigger beers.

Grapefruit du Saison up next
Krazy Kat Blonde kegged
Big-Kat Helles bottled
Extra Squirrely Brew ESB
1554 clone and Lagunitas IIPA bottled
Stone Ruination bottled

Old 07-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Stealthcruiser
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 2062

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrw View Post
I also like to give a genital roll over to the bottles after a week of carbonating and then a week after that cold crash the heck out of them before using that's 2 weeks at room temp and at least 2 more weeks in the fridge for lighter beer and 4 weeks (min) for darker or bigger beers.

Ah, yes.........The ol' "genital rollover" will do it every time.......

Corned Beef............The other pink meat.

People Like This 
Old 07-11-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
Stocktonbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I genital roll all of my bottles for good luck.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:29 AM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 597 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Genital roll over for the win!!

Old 07-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #8
docrw
Mastermind Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthcruiser View Post
Ah, yes.........The ol' "genital rollover" will do it every time.......
Like I'm the only person to ever make a spelling error, HA

Grapefruit du Saison up next
Krazy Kat Blonde kegged
Big-Kat Helles bottled
Extra Squirrely Brew ESB
1554 clone and Lagunitas IIPA bottled
Stone Ruination bottled

People Like This 
Old 07-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #9
Omahawk
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

How you handle your genitals aside, different carbonation levels from the same batch is a function of the relative headspace in your bottle and any air leaks at the cap / seal. Assuming sugar got mixed in evenly and temperature treatment after bottling was the same.

In Heaven there is no beer
That's why we drink it here
And when we're all gone from here
Our friends will be drinking all the beer.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:18 AM   #10
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 20

GRO: genital rollover -> new HBT acronym.

There is a difference between a 2L EZ Cap and a 2L growler. You can carb the EZ caps. Mix your bottling sugar like normal in your bottling bucket. Fill your bottles normal.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Quick Reply