The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Diet Pepsi in Kegerator

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Superdave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Manhattan Kansas
Posts: 122
Default Diet Pepsi in Kegerator

I've been thinking of setting up my kegerator and such, and because I am a cheap skate, I have been considering the best possible deal I can find on corny kegs. Also because I am a cheap skate, I like to get all the Diet Pepsi I drink as cheaply as possible.

I started thinking that buying it in bulk would be cheaper than cans, etc. So I contacted the local Pepsi distributor. I asked about buying both empty corny kegs and full kegs of premixed soda. The guy basically told me that they would sell me a keg full of pop for $15 or 20 (can't remember for sure the price). And then I could "just not return the empty cannister". I could hear the 'wink wink, nudge nudge' through the phone. He said he figured that would be my best bet for getting cannisters.

Anyway, I know that the setup for dispensing premix is very similar to beer, but I was wondering if anyone has added a premix corny keg to their kegerator, and if they pour the soda through the same type of faucet as beer.

__________________
Superdave is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
moosetav
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 266
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

For $15 I would buy the thing and try it with a cobra tap or something. Hell, if it doesn't work you've still just bought a corny for $15!

__________________
moosetav is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
billtzk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,627
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Maybe Pepsi is trying to get rid of their kegs. Most restaurants and other fountain drink vendors are using bag-in-a-box these days.

I'm surprised they'll sell you a keg of pop. I didn't think they'd sell direct to non-commercial accounts (i.e. regular people).

Sounds like a good deal. Ask the guy what pressure to dispense at.

You can serve soda, wine, beer, cider, and other common tap beverages through stainless beer faucets. Plastic is safe for acidic beverages too. The relatively high acid content of soda means you should probably not use chrome plated brass faucets. They're really not all that good for beer either.

I found a site that listed the acidity of Diet Pepsi at ph 3.031. Coke was listed at 2.525 ph, regular Pepsi at 2.530. Beer is usually around ph 4.

Personally, I wouldn't use anything but stainless steel or plastic for dispensing acidic beverages of any kind.

__________________

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

billtzk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 04:39 AM   #4
lotbfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tigard (Portland), Oregon
Posts: 311
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

The only places I can find soda in kegs now are the beverage companies that still stock rc cola and other 7up products, those can sometimes come in corny's if you request it, everything else we get now at all of our outlets at work are all BiB

__________________
lotbfan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
bowiefan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bowie Maryland
Posts: 473
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

I keep a keg of premixed Rum & Coke on tap at all times for SWMBO, as well as a keg of carbonated water for mixing sodas on the spot (I have a couple different soda syrups in the 1 oz condiment dispenser pumps you see at the ball park).

I have a second regulator for the soda stuff set at 35psi with 35/40 feet of 3/16 beer line going to $15 chrome beer faucets. They dispense perfectly every time, SWMBO loves the premix drink since the rum is carbonated too, her drink doesn't end up flat after a couple minutes. And since the whole mix is chilled to serving temp, it doesn't melt the ice and water down.

And before anyone asks, no the rum does not seperate out. The drink remains the same first to last.

__________________
bowiefan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
Superdave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Manhattan Kansas
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowiefan View Post
I keep a keg of premixed Rum & Coke on tap at all times for SWMBO, as well as a keg of carbonated water for mixing sodas on the spot (I have a couple different soda syrups in the 1 oz condiment dispenser pumps you see at the ball park).

I have a second regulator for the soda stuff set at 35psi with 35/40 feet of 3/16 beer line going to $15 chrome beer faucets. They dispense perfectly every time, SWMBO loves the premix drink since the rum is carbonated too, her drink doesn't end up flat after a couple minutes. And since the whole mix is chilled to serving temp, it doesn't melt the ice and water down.

And before anyone asks, no the rum does not seperate out. The drink remains the same first to last.
Why do you have a second regulator and long lines for the soda? It is my understanding that longer lines are used to reduce the pressure at the faucet. So why not have shorter lines and use the beer serving pressure?

Do you have your co2 hooked up to first the soda regulator with the pressure out lines, and then one of those into the beer regulator set at the lower pressure?

I do like the idea of carbonating my own water for mixing and such.
__________________
Superdave is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
bowiefan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bowie Maryland
Posts: 473
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

At beer pressure, soda seems flat. The longer lines are to balance the higher carbonation pressure. With the 35psi carbonation and 40 foot lines o get a slightly slower than optimum beer pour, which is perfect for soda as it doesn't knock a lot of the CO2 out of suspension going through the faucet. Makes for a perfect soda pour with minimal foaming in the glass.

__________________
bowiefan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
bowiefan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bowie Maryland
Posts: 473
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdave View Post
Why do you have a second regulator and long lines for the soda? It is my understanding that longer lines are used to reduce the pressure at the faucet. So why not have shorter lines and use the beer serving pressure?

Do you have your co2 hooked up to first the soda regulator with the pressure out lines, and then one of those into the beer regulator set at the lower pressure?

I do like the idea of carbonating my own water for mixing and such.
Oops, missed the second part of your question. Looking at the face of a regulator you should see either 4 or 5 ports around the outside edge of the body. Fitted into those ports are your gas in, regulated gas pressure out, a gauge showing your regulated pressure, a tank pressure gauge(or brass plug) and possibly a safety. The tank pressure gauge port is a straight thru to the gas inlet, I have a 3000 psi nipple installed there which connects to the gas in of the next regulator.
__________________
bowiefan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
Superdave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Manhattan Kansas
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowiefan View Post
At beer pressure, soda seems flat. The longer lines are to balance the higher carbonation pressure. With the 35psi carbonation and 40 foot lines o get a slightly slower than optimum beer pour, which is perfect for soda as it doesn't knock a lot of the CO2 out of suspension going through the faucet. Makes for a perfect soda pour with minimal foaming in the glass.
So if I didn't mind having long beer lines, would it work to have everything set at 35 PSI then? Or do you think I would run the risk of overcarbonating the beer? (As I type this I'm thinking probably so...)
__________________
Superdave is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
camiller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,882
Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdave View Post
So if I didn't mind having long beer lines, would it work to have everything set at 35 PSI then? Or do you think I would run the risk of overcarbonating the beer? (As I type this I'm thinking probably so...)
probably so
__________________
In Nebraska? Nebraska Brewers Group
My Club OmaHops Homebrew Club

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator
camiller is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bottling beer in 2 liter "Diet Coke" or "Diet Pepsi" bottles theguy Bottling/Kegging 5 06-24-2009 06:25 PM
Pepsi co2 canisters RegionalChaos Bottling/Kegging 9 04-12-2008 01:28 PM
Coke or Pepsi?(pin or ball) Movinfr8 Bottling/Kegging 4 09-04-2007 02:02 PM
coke or pepsi busmanray Bottling/Kegging 27 01-12-2007 02:39 PM
Coke or Pepsi JimiGibbs Bottling/Kegging 12 01-31-2006 02:13 AM