Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Did I cold crash right?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
cank
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Did I cold crash right?

My final gravity readings were the same 48 hours apart so I left it in my primary fermenter and put it my kegerator(my first brew so I have enough room for now) and for the first 8.5 hours I had it on low. Surface temp of the fermenter was 47 - I then turned to Med and surface temp is down to 38 deg. for the last 36 hours. My next step is to siphon it off to the keg, I think???

This is the caribou slobber malt extract kit.
I brewed it on Dec 15th and it was done fermenting 14 days later and that is when I cold-crashed.

Should I have let it sit for another week in primary before cold crashing?

Should I put it in the keg and into the kegerator to carb and age or into the keg and leave at room temp for a week then carb?

...Or, should I leave it in the primary and warm back up to room temp for a week then keg it?

What is the best thing to do now, or does it matter because I already cold crashed?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Personally, I would say it's fine. At this point you could rack to your keg, hit it with some co2 to purge the headspace and seat the lid, then let it sit for a week or so at 60-65º for some conditioning.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Or, you could go ahead and keg it. Either set and forget, put in kegerator set to serving pressure and leave for 3 weeks. Or, let it set on 30psi for 24 hours, purge and set to serving pressure. The second method is by no means an exact science, but a lot of people, including myself, use it with good results. It will usually be ready in a week this way.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
cank
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsojos View Post
Or, you could go ahead and keg it. Either set and forget, put in kegerator set to serving pressure and leave for 3 weeks. Or, let it set on 30psi for 24 hours, purge and set to serving pressure. The second method is by no means an exact science, but a lot of people, including myself, use it with good results. It will usually be ready in a week this way.
This is what I was planning on doing but wanted confirmation. I read the very long thread on force carbing and it sounds like the way to go. I just wasn't sure about conditioning after cold crashing and at what temps it would be best.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

If it is your first brew I wouldn't do anymore conditioning. You're gonna love it anyway so why torture yourself with more waiting?

My cold crash procedure is simply 48-72 hours in my 35 degree kegerator. I've found this provides super clear beer and I never secondary. Caribou slobber is right on the edge of where I would cold crash since it is on the darker side. However, the other advantage of cold beer is faster co2 absorption.

Quick Reply