Dented freezer floors from kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
My freezer floor seems to be very soft, and the keg leaves an imprint in it. Do other people have this? Does anyone set their kegs on something to prevent the floor from being dented? I don't THINK I set the kegs down hard...I think just the weight of a full keg is doing it. I guess it's not hurting anything, but just wondering what other people do.

Mine has the same imprints.I'm thinking of maybe cutting a piece of thin plywood,or blue insulation to put down there to cushion the load.

Cutting and dropping in a piece of marine grade plywood is the best solution. A piece of OSB or non-marine grade plywood will slowly rot from the moisture.

With all due respect, why does it matter if the floor of a chest freezer is dented or not? They're usually dented in use anyways since people stack tons of ice/other goods in them. It doesn't really make a difference. You *could* go get some plywood, but I don't really understand why you even would; you can only even see the floor of the freezer if you don't have any kegs in it. In which case, brew more beer.

Hi

What ever you do, consider that there likely will be a lake in the bottom of the keezer at various points in it's life. Anything that seals in the moisture (plus a little spilled beer) will be a great place for crazy stuff to breed.

Bob

Back