Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Deep freeze kegerator on cheap question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
NikolausXX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Deep freeze kegerator on cheap question

To make a deep freeze a refridgerator, do you have to buy the thermostat and power plug thing for 75 bucks, or is there an easier way to get the temp higher? On a deepfreeze setup, can I run regular taps instead of those rise up ones that are about 100 bucks each? Planning on 40 dollar 15.5 cubic foot deepfreeze. hate to spend buckoo bucks to get the storage.

Primary- Jamils Pale ale with crystal
Kegged- Apfelwein (almost gone)
Ageing- Joam Mead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2008, 12:46 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4253 Times on 3099 Posts
Likes Given: 807

You can certainly use picnic/cobra taps and just open the lid of the freezer to dispense. The towers are nice, but not necessary.

As far I as know, you would need an external thermostat. I don't know how else you could keep a freezer at 40 degrees.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 599 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolausXX
buckoo
"Beaucoup" is the word you wanted.

Test the freezer on its highest setting. If it maintains a temperature above freezing, you don't need an external thermostat.

I have no idea what you mean by "regular taps" vs "rise up taps." Chances are, you can use any tap that will connect to your kegs.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:02 AM   #4
NikolausXX
Recipes 

Im new to the kegerator. My neighbor has a regular refridgerator one, with a 16 gallon commercial keg in it. I planned on putting corny kegs in deep freeze, and hopefully have room for some bottles in there too. Havnt ironed out all the technical yet.

Ageing- Joam Mead

Old 01-27-2008, 01:07 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Chest freezers typically adjust between -10 and 20 degrees F on their own thermostat if they have one at all. You can find a cheaper analog controller on Ebay if you know what to look for at about 25 bucks.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just a thought...something I have done and will definately work but certainly no equal to the ranco digital controller I have. Now that I have the disclaimer out of the way I'll spill the cheap, fast dirty and easy kegerator temp "control".

Plug the freezer into an outdoor appliance timer ( I bought one at walmart for like ten bucks). Set the timer to run the freezer for a short period of time (20 min ???) approx four times a day. This will chill your beer but you will have to fuss w/ the timer to achieve a temp. that you desire. Also, since it is a crude and non intuitive control it will vary depending on the load on the freezer. Meaning that if you load up the freezer w/ warm beer the timer does not recognize this and will not compensate.

I did this w/ a spare freezer and cold crashed/conditioned some kegged ales this way. I had a small 5 cf freezer and I figured the timer was capable w/ a capacity of 1875 watt rated load. Not sure if this will work for your 15 cf model, I would think it would but do your own research!!. Long and short do not overload the timer and damage something????

This all being said...you will probably be happier w/ a cheap analog controller like bobby suggested, but I figured I'd throw it out their in the event you had something like this "in stock"

Edit>>>At the risk of being a smartass...you could just plug the freezer in for an hour or so manually each day untill you achieve the temp. you like...but eventually you would probably end up w/ either frozen or warmish beer. This manual control method is certainly the cheapest but NOT a great long term solution.

Mike

Last edited by wilserbrewer; 01-27-2008 at 02:26 PM.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:37 AM   #7
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on the timer, for a super cheap option, that is. i was thinking something along the lines of one of those 15min interval timers with the click tabs on a dial. you can get 'em at any hardware/walmart store for $10-$15. set it to run 15min every 60-90 minutes and then use the thermostat in the freezer to control the temp. like wilserbrewer said, it's not able to recognize when you just put a bunch of warm beer in so it will take longer to cool new beer, but it will be cheap.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:40 AM   #8
NikolausXX
Recipes 

Good solutions, I think I will have the freezer next weekend. I might take in a load of scrap if the weather is nice. That should get me enough cash to buy the thermostat thing from my local supply shop for 70 bucks.
Has anyone made any homemade tap extenders for the top of the chest. I will put taps on side if I have to resort to paying 100 bucks each for the towers. Any pics or plans to point me in the right direction. I think this will be easier than I thought. Im not really out to impress, so would like to keep cost down. If you havnt noticed im a complete noob. Throwing lots of time, and little money into my new hobby! I already got 10gals made already. My best friend and neighbor has a working kegerator, and I checked it out today, looks pretty simple once you get all the odds and ends. He has lots of EXTRA parts laying around too.

Ageing- Joam Mead

Old 01-28-2008, 02:43 AM   #9
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 8

careful now...in my experience 15 min every 60-90 minutes is a lot of run time. I don't recall the details but i nearly froze a keg (beercicle). 2nd warning, Listen up yall, this method is somewhat "ghetto" and takes some babysitting or bad things can happen.

Seniorwanderer...yes that is exactly the timer I'm referring to. It is an outdoor timer w/ a three prong grounded plug. Also, the thermostat in the freezer will be worthless while running on a timer!!

Last edited by wilserbrewer; 01-28-2008 at 02:46 AM.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:14 AM   #10
rabidgerbil
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used this with mine
http://www.blueridgecompany.com/docu...p300_specs.pdf
cost me $29 at Frys Electronics
It will only go down to 45 degrees, but that works fine for me for now...

My LHBS

Quick Reply