Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Deciphering what equipment to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Deciphering what equipment to buy

Oi! I'm having some trouble figuring out exactly what bits and pieces I need to get. All of the "get started kegging" kits and "kegerator conversion kits" come with varying levels of stuff, and it's hard to figure out what I need, what's nice to have, and what I shouldn't care about.

So here's what I want to do:

I have the ubiquitous Magic Chef 7.2 chest freezer. I've already built a collar for it.

I'd like to have at least 2, possibly 4, Perlick SS faucets. I'd also like at least 2 different legs of CO2 pressure so I can be carbing 1-2 Cornies while having some on tap.

So far, I know I need the faucets and shanks to go with them. I need a regulator for the main line from the tank and a separate regulator for any other pressures I want to run simultaneously. I've seen links to the ones on Sciplus.com for that.

But that's where I end up in the weeds. Quick disconnect fittings? Picnic taps? Fittings and gauges for the regulators from Sciplus? Tubing?

Any help is greatly appreciated

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

Hi Joe, you could put a wye on the main reg so you can feed your secondary and have a carbing fitting. you should definetly invest in a checkvalve for each gas line(these seem to be the most expensive part. another wye on your secondary to feed both taps or a 4 way manifold(with separate checkvlaves) for 4 taps. although the manifold may be more expensive than the A.S.S. regulators so you may want a seperate reg for each keg. I went that route so I can serve different carbed kegs. post connectors, gas and bev for each keg and an extra gas for carbing, get the screw on connectors and fittings, it will make cleaning the lines easier as you can take all the connectors to the sink for cleaning. you might want a pressurized line cleaning kit. Picnic tap and racking cane if you plan on a BMBF. tubing- 10 feet of 3/16" for each tap, gas line I use the reinforced 1/4". all tubing can be had at Home depot. on the 3/16 get it in bulk because the wall thickness is greater and allows you to stretch it over the 1/4 in barbs without worrying about it splitting and dumping your beer. don't forget a bunch of hose clamps unless you are going to be using the Oleiter? clamps. I think that is it. post how it comes out

63 views and no one else has more to offer? come on guys help a fellow brewer out.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Last edited by beerthirty; 07-28-2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: addition

Old 07-29-2008, 03:02 AM   #3
nostalgia
Recipes 

The search goes on. With the free shipping it looks like getting a 4-pack of kegs at AHS is a good deal at the moment, so I may go that way.

I've just got to work out all the other junk. Going to get my taps and shanks from Superprod, tubing from Home Depot.

So now I need regulators, check valves, and I guess fittings to go on the ball locks. Are those the 'quick disconnects' I'm reading about? Am I missing anything else?

I feel like such an idiot for not being able to figure these bits out. Am I missing a good resource somewhere?

-Joe

Old 07-29-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
shot0rum247
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are a lot of little things you don't want to forget! I just set up my kegging stuff and am very happy with everything. Google search midwest brewing and give them a call and tell them you want to talk to someone about kegging...they will tell you everything you need. I got set up for about 100 less than my LHBS quoted me on all the gear :-) Good luck and happy brewing!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
The search goes on. With the free shipping it looks like getting a 4-pack of kegs at AHS is a good deal at the moment, so I may go that way.

I've just got to work out all the other junk. Going to get my taps and shanks from Superprod, tubing from Home Depot.

So now I need regulators, check valves, and I guess fittings to go on the ball locks. Are those the 'quick disconnects' I'm reading about? Am I missing anything else?

I feel like such an idiot for not being able to figure these bits out. Am I missing a good resource somewhere?

-Joe
You may want to consider the Chi Company. Their prices are lower, and I'm only paying $20 shipping on 4 kegs to Seattle. It might be worth it depending on how much shipping will cost you.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Check out kegconnection.com. Todd (the owner) is great to work with and is very knowledgable.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #7
Big10Seaner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Kegconnection has great customer service.

[B]The End of the Line Brewing
Primary: Saison
Secondary: Nada
On tap: Farm Pond IPA, Airstream Ale, Barn Door Dubbel, Saison, Oktoberfest ale
Bottled: Blackberry mead, RIS

Old 07-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
nostalgia
Recipes 

Thanks. I've shot off an email to Kegconnection's customer service, so I'll put them to the test and report back

-Joe

Old 07-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I got excellent service from kegconnection and I ended up buying from them because they allowed me to mix and match my kit to meet my specifications, Todd provided excellent customer service, and shipped quickly.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
nostalgia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
Thanks. I've shot off an email to Kegconnection's customer service, so I'll put them to the test and report back
2 days and counting without a reply. Do they usually take a while?

-Joe

Quick Reply