Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Decent Deal on Mini Fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2005, 11:32 PM   #1
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Decent Deal on Mini Fridge

I mentioned in another thread that I'm going AG....first batch this weekend!

Well, I'm also going to start kegging. I'm getting sick of having bottles all over the damn place. I asked the wife nicely the other day, and to my surprise she went for the kegerator idea.

I've read that one of the best mini-fridges you can get for conversion to a kegerator is the Sanyo 4911. It seems that they're discontinuing it, and replacing it with the (as far as I can tell) identical 4912. This thing doesn't have a freezer, which is nice. Best Buy carries them for $199, and I've heard they put them on sale fairly often.

But I'm impatient, and didn't want to wait for a sale. Luckily, I found this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat58100050013&type=category&d=1 &dcmp=rdr0000057

If you follow that link and either sign into your account or create one, you should be able to get $10 off every $100 you spend, up to $500. So if you can find a cheap item to bump that $199.99 total to just over $200, you get the fridge for $179. Then you can go pick it up in the store.

Still not a bargain, but I've read that it'll hold two cornies and a 5 lb CO2 tank internally. Don't quote me there, as I don't have it yet! I'll pick it up tomorrow.

So anyway, there's the deal for those interested. Hopefully I get the conversion stuff (tower, faucets, CO2 tank, etc) soon, and I'll be able to keg up my wit.

Gone unsung for far too long

Last edited by SwAMi75; 06-22-2005 at 11:39 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2005, 03:45 AM   #2
Kephren

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I got a cheap fridge that holds two cornys and a CO2 tank. Now my problem is I just invested $200, when I should have invested $300 to get a chest freezer to convert which would hold a heck of a lot more. Now I'll end up spending $500 total. Go for the freezer conversion. You'll outgrow two kegs in no time. Plus with a freezer, you have the option of lagering (or at least cold conditioning)

Old 06-23-2005, 10:36 AM   #3
Born Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The chest freezer is key, I hope to purchase one this summer (need the OK from the wife). Hey, if you have the room, you can never have too many fridges.

Primary :empty
Secondary : empty
KEG: empty

May your beer never be empty, and a roof always over your head, and when your day comes, may you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

For fermenting and serving, I think it's best to separate these two things. If you are fermenting a lager at 55 F, this is awfully warm to serve the rest of the beer in your fridge. The best route is probably a chest freezer for fermenting and an upright for serving. The upright is a bit more suited to beer faucets, is probably cheaper, and a bit easier to convert.

If you comb the classifieds, I can guarantee you will find a perfectly good upright fridge that will hold at least 3 kegs, maybe 6 if it's wide enough, for less than $100. Be patient, look around, they are out there. I picked up mine for $45. Refrigerators are extremely reliable, so I wouldn't worry too much about age. Spend your money on good beer faucets to mount on the front. That's the best facelift any old fridge can get. I can highly recommend the forward sealing faucets (Vent-Matic or Perlick), they are worth the money. No sticking and hardly any cleaning at all.

Prosit,

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 06-23-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i did that same thing Dennis. I found a fridge from a friend for free. it was probably 10 years old when i got it (4 years ago). still works like a champ. spent my $$$$ on good taps, co2 bottle, guages, etc. i found a <1 yr old 7 cu ft chest freezer for $60 on a local classifieds web page that i use to ferment/lager/condition. i just asked everyone i knew to be on the look-out for fridge/freezer. just wish i had room for another, larger chest freezer, but my set-up works great......
i understand how these guy's feel, though. i'm an impulse kinda guy, and have to work on my patience every day!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 06-23-2005, 05:52 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kephren
I got a cheap fridge that holds two cornys and a CO2 tank. Now my problem is I just invested $200, when I should have invested $300 to get a chest freezer to convert which would hold a heck of a lot more. Now I'll end up spending $500 total. Go for the freezer conversion. You'll outgrow two kegs in no time. Plus with a freezer, you have the option of lagering (or at least cold conditioning)
What's the problem with having both?

Old 06-23-2005, 06:11 PM   #7
Dragonfly
Recipes 

well I live in a college town, and it's probably the same in college towns all across the country - wait till school gets out and everyone moves, and mini fridges are guaranteed to pop up in dumpsters all across town. Just dive in!

(sort of) New to the Game

up next:
Kolsch

secondary:
altbier

Keg: empty

Bottled:
maple pumpkin ale
"Straight up" Pale Ale
Java Porter
Smiling Eyes Irish Red
Vanilla Cream Ale

Old 06-24-2005, 02:02 AM   #8
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know, I know. I should have shopped around more. I'm sure I could have found something a lot cheaper, but the one I'm getting (actually just got) is perfect for the conversion.

Plus, I want to get it done before my wife changes her mind.

You all's advice is great for someone with considerably more patience than myself, though!!

Gone unsung for far too long

Old 06-24-2005, 02:29 AM   #9
Kephren

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
What's the problem with having both?
It's hard to sneak a chest freezer past the wife
I probably will end up with both and use the freezer for lagering and storing kegs to replace the empties in the standup

Old 06-24-2005, 02:07 PM   #10
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
I know, I know. I should have shopped around more. I'm sure I could have found something a lot cheaper, but the one I'm getting (actually just got) is perfect for the conversion.

Plus, I want to get it done before my wife changes her mind.

You all's advice is great for someone with considerably more patience than myself, though!!
Oh Grasshopper.....
you did good Sam. as long as we keep moving towards beer perfection, we're movin' in the right direction. my wife told me last night i needed ANOTHER freezer so i can have lagers going, and one for my ales! MAN I LOVE THAT WOMAN!!!! i'm look'n today, WOO-HOO!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Quick Reply