New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Dead Kegerator help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Ricand
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Dead Kegerator help please

Darn it, my kegerator stopped cooling. The power is switching properly to the compressor. It get's really hot and goes out on the thermal protection. I talked to an appliance guy who said a freezer working at refrigerator temps would burn out the compressor every two years or so. Something about low pressure without ever running long enough or something. I really doubt that is true since I've had another small one working fine for 5 years or so.

Anywho, it's the one in the sig link below. Large chest type with 8 taps. Has anyone successfully swapped out a compressor on these things? I know it would probably be more expensive than a new keezer, but my time and effort is worth something too. Has anyone done an out of box thing like putting one of those $99 AC units sticking out the side or something? Any help would be appreciated. My beer is getting sadly warm.

If I was too drunk to remember it, it didn't happen.

If you got a good liver.. use it! - wife

CopperCat Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Changing the compressor isn't easy. You need special equipment. I did appliance repair over 30 years and never heard under working a freezer would burn out the compressor faster.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Ricand
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Changing the compressor isn't easy. You need special equipment. I did appliance repair over 30 years and never heard under working a freezer would burn out the compressor faster.
Yeah, I don't have the equipment for the refrigerant recovery or evacuating the system. I would definitely get someone else to replace it. It will cost as close to what a new freezer would run, but I wouldn't have to change over all the other mods I've done.

If I was too drunk to remember it, it didn't happen.

If you got a good liver.. use it! - wife

CopperCat Brewery

Quick Reply