The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Dead Keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2007, 12:00 AM   #1
mozicodo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Dead Keg

I brewed a california common which was in secondary for 3-4 months. I used my kegerator for the first time in a few years instead of bottling. Things were fine for a week or so but then I ran out of pressure. I testing the corny for leaks but couldn't find any when I first set it up. It might have simply ran out of CO2, and I could just get more CO2. But if there's something wrong with the regulator or keg, I don't want to waste the money on more CO2 and then also have to buy whatever to get that fixed.

To make a long story short (too late), I'll gladly bottle what's left. There's no pressure left in the keg so I'll have to bottle the standard gravity way, however what do I have to do about carbonation. Should I just add sugar? Will there be enough yeast left at this point? Or should I add some more yeast as well? If so, do I need to add a whole pack or will that be too much?

Thanks,
Andy

Xtreme Mashtun Build Open Beer Data Project @aptidude on identi.ca

Android Software: ZymTools Free ZymTools Full

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2007, 12:52 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

So how much pressure was in the CO2 bottle when you first hooked it to the keg? I suppose if you have a single gauge reg you'd have no idea, but this would help tell you if you just ran out of gas or not.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-28-2007, 04:11 AM   #3
Fiery Sword
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think you should just do get your CO2 refilled. I mean, you almost answered your own question - if you haven't used the kegs in a few years (presumably there was wear on the keg system before then) then it definitely sounds like you've got a CO2 issue. I wouldn't consider a once-every-three-years $21 (MUCH cheaper, some places) refill cost as to be wasting money by any tight-wallet'ed perspective.

Fill up the gas....or I'll pay for shipping for all your unused keg equipment!!!!

Quick Reply