Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Dead end on CO2 leak

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
boredatwork
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Dead end on CO2 leak

I thought I had the problem solved, but then I went on vacation for 3 weeks and when I got back my CO2 tank was empty (again...).

My latest attempt at finding the leak was to stick the keg and co2 tank and regulator setup into a bathtub full of water. I spent a lot of time looking for bubbles in the water but I could not find any.

I filled the 5# CO2 tank two months ago, and since then it was used to fill maybe 24 bottles and dispense maybe 4 glasses of beer. For the rest of the time it was connected to 2 corny kegs in a fridge.

I am starting to wonder if CO2 tank will last either XX number of glasses dispensed, or 2 months of time, whichever comes first. I doubt this is normal for most people, but does anyone else have a problem with CO2 dissapearing after 2-3 months of not dispensing any beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 782

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredatwork View Post
I thought I had the problem solved, but then I went on vacation for 3 weeks and when I got back my CO2 tank was empty (again...).

My latest attempt at finding the leak was to stick the keg and co2 tank and regulator setup into a bathtub full of water. I spent a lot of time looking for bubbles in the water but I could not find any.

I filled the 5# CO2 tank two months ago, and since then it was used to fill maybe 24 bottles and dispense maybe 4 glasses of beer. For the rest of the time it was connected to 2 corny kegs in a fridge.

I am starting to wonder if CO2 tank will last either XX number of glasses dispensed, or 2 months of time, whichever comes first. I doubt this is normal for most people, but does anyone else have a problem with CO2 dissapearing after 2-3 months of not dispensing any beer?
I do- but I've found a few little leaks around the lid of one of my kegs, once the pressure got lower. It sealed fine when I gave it a shot of co2 at 30 psi, but afterwards it seemed like my co2 disappeared way too fast and I checked again and the lid had a very small leak around it. It drove me crazy!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Quote:
I've got a small leak in my setup. I know what part of the system it is, between the regulator and the T-connector which splits the gas between the kegger and the conditioning cabinet, but like yours it's too small to find. I suspect one of the gauge bodies, but even immersing the whole rig doesn't show anything. So, I'm resigned to pressurizing the system and shutting the isolation valves. Fortunately, I can force carbonate using my other regulator and bottle.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredatwork View Post

It won't empty by just sitting there. I have a tank from my grandpa that he's had for years (more than 10). It still has plenty of Co2 in it.

Normally when I hook up a corny I'll spray the lid/relief valve with star-san to check for leaks. I'll also stored my cleaned kegs with some star-san and a bit of pressure (2-3 lbs) and if they have pressure when I pull them out to fill them I know they'll be good. If not then I know I may need to mess with them a little to get a good seal. You may also want to spray star-san on all the connections between your tank and kegs. If that doesn't spot your leak you can get actual leak-testing stuff for gas lines, that should do it (I've never had to go buy that stuff though).

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 07-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Did you actually submerge your regulator?

To find leaks, I use dishsoap mixed with water and spray it on the connections. Same idea as the star-san idea above. And just to weed out the easy stuff, you do have that plastic washer between the tank and regulator, right?

Old 07-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1902 Times on 1373 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Mine did the same thing this weekend. Happened once before. I've done the star san thing before and could not find any leaks. Frustrating...

Old 07-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
I'll also stored my cleaned kegs with some star-san and a bit of pressure (2-3 lbs) and if they have pressure when I pull them out to fill them I know they'll be good.
+1 on that!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
Trubadour
Recipes 

Upon inspection, the black part on a few popets looked almost crushed on one side, so I replaced the popets and hope that fixes my leak that I can't find. Has anyone found that to be the source of their leaks?

My Keezer

Old 07-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

a popet valve will only be a leak issue if the QD is disconnected. I have one keg that leaks from the gas in popet, but as long as I keep it hooked up, it is a nonissue. Same with having a beverage line connected to the liquid out.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
Trubadour
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkador View Post
a popet valve will only be a leak issue if the QD is disconnected. I have one keg that leaks from the gas in popet, but as long as I keep it hooked up, it is a nonissue. Same with having a beverage line connected to the liquid out.
I think that's my problem - I have 6 kegs in the keezer and only 4 taps and 4 gas connects, so they get disconnected and moved around occassionaly.

If you have the gas connected but manifold shut off, will it still prevent it from leaking there?

My Keezer

Quick Reply