Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Damn CO2 Leaks!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1960 Times on 1418 Posts
Likes Given: 1071

Default Damn CO2 Leaks!

Come back from Vacation to find my CO2 bottle is empty. WTF? It had plenty of pressure before I left! Now granted, I've had the bottle for a bit, but There should have been no loss since I was not there to drink it!

I think this is the same keg that drained the bottle last time. I've checked several times for leaks and can't find any. It has been fine most of the time...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

blame the keg... replace every oring on it, and use extra keglube next time... I am in the habbit now of putting a galon of starsan solution in my kegs and adding some pressure. if the keg is flat when i check it, i know i have a leak before i fill it.

be glad you didn't find it the way i found my last leaky keg... with 2 inches of beer on the bottom of my keezer

Last edited by Arkador; 07-07-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4638 Times on 4319 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Wrap the outside of top chime with masking or duct tape to seal a bowl around it. Pressurize the keg and fill the ring with water. If there is a leak, it will show.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
Trubadour
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkador View Post
blame the keg... replace every oring on it, and use extra keglube next time... I am in the habbit now of putting a galon of starsan solution in my kegs and adding some pressure. if the keg is flat when i check it, i know i have a leak before i fill it.

be glad you didn't find it the way i found my last leaky keg... with 2 inches of beer on the bottom of my keezer
I've been there, and have gotten into the habit of closing the manifolds to the already carbed beers and then hitting them with gas when the pour gets too slow.

My Keezer

Old 07-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubadour View Post
I've been there, and have gotten into the habit of closing the manifolds to the already carbed beers and then hitting them with gas when the pour gets too slow.
mine was a popet valve. the fix was to hook up a beverage line to it after cleaning up the mess. Popets aren't cheap, and adding another beverage line simply gave me more selection.

Last edited by Arkador; 07-07-2009 at 04:02 PM.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Wrap the outside of top chime with masking or duct tape to seal a bowl around it. Pressurize the keg and fill the ring with water. If there is a leak, it will show.
I'll try that.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
SOB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
+1...burned through too many tanks to not take this precaution.

I have (had) all my leaks fixed but then a couple weeks ago I was on vacation and closed the valve on the tank before I left. When I came home and opened it there was gas blowing out of the nut that connects the regulator to the tank! All from just closing and opening the tanks valve. I have had some serious bad luck with leaks!

"I'm much too young to feel this damn old"

Old 07-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4638 Times on 4319 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB View Post
+1...burned through too many tanks to not take this precaution.

I have (had) all my leaks fixed but then a couple weeks ago I was on vacation and closed the valve on the tank before I left. When I came home and opened it there was gas blowing out of the nut that connects the regulator to the tank! All from just closing and opening the tanks valve. I have had some serious bad luck with leaks!
Give new meaning to the term "busting a ......."

Old 07-08-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
boredatwork
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thats funny that we had the same experience. I just posted the same exact thing the other day.

I am still wondering, however, if a fully on CO2/keg setup will inevtiably leak. I am guessing most people consume a keg before they can even realize this. My homebrew consumption is extremely slow - usually limited to bottling everyone in a while, and an occasional pint for myself.

In other words, if everyone filled a keg, carbed it, and then left it there for 2 months with the manifold open, does everyone really think that there would be no CO2 loss? The other question would be does everyone think that there should be no CO2 loss?

Although, on the other hand, most people say a 5# CO2 tank should last 4-5 kegs. If mine doesnt even last 2 months about 1/2 keg usage, then maybe most people are really leak free?

Old 07-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I did this for a while after my first leak, but the beer would drop carbonation too much in some styles. I finally decided to keep it open and I wanted to carb up a new batch anyway.

Maybe it was just time for the bottle to empty, but I doubt it. I think I need to try a different method of leak detection. Maybe tonight I'll give it a go.

I should be able to leave the gas on all the time.

Quick Reply