Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Custom Refrigerator

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 02:43 AM   #1
eboeing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 15
Default Custom Refrigerator

Hi, Everybody:

I just stumbled on HomeBrewTalk.com while doing a few Google searches, and I'm really glad I did; you guys seem to have the most active home brewing forum around.

This question has probably been asked before, so please feel free to direct me to appropriate threads.

I live in a cramped apartment and we have absolutely NO room. There's no way my wife will approve of any kegerator even as big as a dorm fridge. (And heck, I shouldn't blame it on my wife; we're so cramped that even I don't want a kegerator that big!)

Perfect for me would be the smallest possible refrigerator that could fit a corny keg. I'm thinking something like a 2-foot tall column with a 12"x12" footprint.

I'm surprised nothing like this exists. But since it doesn't, I'd really like to try building one myself.

Can anybody here direct me to custom fridge-building resources?

Thanks! I'm glad to have joined your forums!

__________________

Last edited by eboeing; 10-20-2009 at 02:45 AM.
eboeing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 03:01 AM   #2
shortyjacobs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,511
Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I'm not sure how you'd build one, (but I'm thinking peltier chips?)....but also remember you need a CO2 bottle...which has at least the footprint of a keg...plus some....I'd plan on 15x20 for a footprint....

Good luck!

__________________
shortyjacobs is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
eboeing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 15
Default

Good point about the CO2; I've seen kegerators where the CO2 tank is kept externally, & I was thinking about doing something similar. (Unless of course, that's an absolutely terrible idea.)

__________________
eboeing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 03:09 AM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Nurmey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 4,001
Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Welcome to HBT!
It's pretty rare when we get a first post question that hasn't been asked before but I think you might have done it. Congratulations!

I don't have an answer but have you looked at smaller keg option? You can buy 2.5 gallon kegs that could fit in your kitchen fridge. Not quite as cool but with a picnic tap, it would work.

We have a bunch of do-it-yourself guys on here so hopefully one will come along that can help you.

__________________
Batch 1 Brewing
The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.
Nurmey is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 03:18 AM   #5
eboeing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 15
Default

Lol. I'm VERY surprised none of the enterprising people here haven't looked into this one before.

I considered 2.5 gallon kegs (and even bought the "party pig"-- hated it), but even our fridge is tiny & I wound up having not enough room for food!

I'd say shortyjacobs was thinking along my same lines when he mentioned peltier cooling; I used to hang out with a bunch of hardcore computer overclockers, and all those guys used to design their own custom peltier cooling systems. I figure if they can do that for their computers, I can do something similar for my beer!

__________________
eboeing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 03:27 AM   #6
shortyjacobs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,511
Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboeing View Post
Good point about the CO2; I've seen kegerators where the CO2 tank is kept externally, & I was thinking about doing something similar. (Unless of course, that's an absolutely terrible idea.)
That's a fine idea....just wanted to remind you that it still takes up space, either inside or out. If you go the peltier route, hell, keep it outside so you can have a more efficient cooler.
__________________
shortyjacobs is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 03:32 AM   #7
eboeing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs View Post
That's a fine idea....just wanted to remind you that it still takes up space, either inside or out. If you go the peltier route, hell, keep it outside so you can have a more efficient cooler.
Haha, I'm thinking the fire escape/landing is exactly the right place for the thing I have in mind!
__________________
eboeing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 04:08 AM   #8
BillyBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 167
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Have you looked at the Tap a Draft system? I hate bottling and didn't have room for kegging when I first started so I used the TAD system for over a year. It isn't as nice a corny's but I thought it worked pretty well. Good luck.

Cheers.

__________________
Future Brews
Jubelale Clone, Dirty Dog IIPA

Primary: Empty
Red Chair NWPA, Dim Wit

Secondary: Empty

Keg: RedShift IPA, Bootstrap IPA, Dos Equis, Albino Pale Ale, Total Domination Clone, Rye IPA, Grant's Perfect Porter, Cascadian Dark Ale, IIPA
BillyBeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
eboeing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 15
Default

OK, I've combed through the archives and found a couple of interesting things:

Back in 2008, "TheMiller" wanted to do something similar to what I have in mind, converting a whiskey barrel into a fridge. I'm not sure if he got anywhere with it, but he did post a link to this cool thing, but it's like $375 and you'd have to ship it from New Zealand.

I also found this thread about making a fermentation chiller out of styrofoam, chilled by ice, and then there was this other awesome thing where Yuri Rage welded a cooling device to the inside of a keg!

Unfortunately, it seems like nobody's really been able to make a go of even making a fermentation chiller with a peltier system, much less a kegerator for serving purposes, which would be running 24/7/365.

SO....

I may have to resign myself to finding & buying THE SMALLEST fridge that can still fit a corny keg.

I've found some 2.8 cubit foot fridges, like the Haier NuCool (17.75 x 20.75 x 28.75), the Curtis FR280 (17.5 x 18.7 x 31.9), or Frigidaire FRC03L2DB (19.5 x 19.8 x 27.7). But these are a little bigger than I'd like, and they seem very difficult to find.

Better for me would be the "Coleman PowerChill Thermoelectric Cooler," which comes in at 17.25 x 16.0 x 24.0. Problems: a) it's meant for camping & tailgating and probably isn't supposed to be left on all the time, and b) it looks like it may be difficult to extend a tap from the top.

New question: Has anybody here tried to make a kegerator out of a Coleman PowerChill (or something similar)? Any pitfalls I should look out for?

__________________
eboeing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
shortyjacobs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,511
Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboeing View Post
OK, I've combed through the archives and found a couple of interesting things:

Back in 2008, "TheMiller" wanted to do something similar to what I have in mind, converting a whiskey barrel into a fridge. I'm not sure if he got anywhere with it, but he did post a link to this cool thing, but it's like $375 and you'd have to ship it from New Zealand.

I also found this thread about making a fermentation chiller out of styrofoam, chilled by ice, and then there was this other awesome thing where Yuri Rage welded a cooling device to the inside of a keg!

Unfortunately, it seems like nobody's really been able to make a go of even making a fermentation chiller with a peltier system, much less a kegerator for serving purposes, which would be running 24/7/365.

SO....

I may have to resign myself to finding & buying THE SMALLEST fridge that can still fit a corny keg.

I've found some 2.8 cubit foot fridges, like the Haier NuCool (17.75 x 20.75 x 28.75), the Curtis FR280 (17.5 x 18.7 x 31.9), or Frigidaire FRC03L2DB (19.5 x 19.8 x 27.7). But these are a little bigger than I'd like, and they seem very difficult to find.

Better for me would be the "Coleman PowerChill Thermoelectric Cooler," which comes in at 17.25 x 16.0 x 24.0. Problems: a) it's meant for camping & tailgating and probably isn't supposed to be left on all the time, and b) it looks like it may be difficult to extend a tap from the top.

New question: Has anybody here tried to make a kegerator out of a Coleman PowerChill (or something similar)? Any pitfalls I should look out for?
No idea if you could convert it. I just thought I'd mention that both the NuCool and the PowerChill use Peltier chips for their cooling.....not sure if you realized that ....

I know people use NuCools for lagering fridges, (search HBT for nucool), so I bet it would work for a kegerator.
__________________
shortyjacobs is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom Bar Build Gfei DIY Projects 43 02-03-2012 10:43 PM
custom taps. mctc DIY Projects 6 08-03-2009 04:00 AM
Custom Refrigerator rodif DIY Projects 4 03-02-2009 03:00 PM
Custom tap handles farrout General Beer Discussion 3 09-05-2008 03:11 PM
custom coasters Shonuff Label Display & Discussion 7 02-05-2008 04:17 PM