Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Currently Available Fridges

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Silikyan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Currently Available Fridges

I'm hoping to tap into everyone's collective knowledge regarding kegerator builds.

I've decided to take the plunge and start kegging my homebrew, and I need to start a kegerator build. Sadly, my minifridge from college is but a few inches too short to hold a corny keg, and I'll need to get a new one. I'm a bit pressed for space, so a full-sized fridge is out of the question.

I've seen a lot of posts about Sanyo fridges and the like, but they seem to have been discontinued, and I'm hoping for the most up-to-date information possible.

If anyone has had success with a currently-produced mini-fridge, or any recommendations for one, I'd very much appreciate it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

The Sanyos (series 4912, I think?) that you commonly read about are popular in large part to the fact that you can stuff two pin lock cornies side-by-side in there relatively easily and with minimal modifications. And yes, they're discontinued (although you can still find them, for a steep price).

Are you planning to put just one corny in? That'd make a difference in the models you are after, as there are far more fridges capable of holding a single corny quite easily. If you want two in there, it narrows things, especially depending on whether you have pin or ball locks.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Silikyan
Recipes 

Yeah, that is a pretty steep price. Ideally, I'd like to fit two cornys and a co2 cylinder, but I could certainly settle for one and some bottle space if that's going to be more feasible.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I think the two most popular available minifridges are the Danby and the Frigidaire.

My kegerator is the Frigidaire 4.4: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/frigidaire-model-frc445gb-mini-fridge-kegerator-conversion-89013/

Here's a pic using my terrible cameraphone:

It has changed the model number over the years. From FRC445GB to LFPH44M4LM to whatever. It's at Lowe's and it's 4.4 cubic feet. $179 normally, but you can get a 10% off coupon from the post office (mover's packet).

The only mods you need to do to fit two ball lock cornies are unscrew the freezer shelf (it's literally just a shelf...no lines), unscrew the thermostat housing and push it further back. That's it to fit 2 and a 5lb co2 tank on the shelf. For dispensing, people go through the door or put a tower on top. I put a tower on mine, but you have to be very careful as there are coolant lines in the top. That thread should have lots of pictures to show you what to do.

It is a pretty tight fit...if you coil the beer lines, you shouldn't have a problem.

Quick Reply