Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > The cure for your short hose troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #81
monkeychef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Corey,

It is not known whether this item is food-safe or not.

Rob

Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 11:31 PM
To: atl.sales@correspondence.mcmaster.com;
Subject: Your message to McMaster-Carr

While on our web site you wrote us a note:
I was curious if the plastic in item# 74695A58, a 5.3" (1/4" blunt tip) Polypropylene Mixer Nozzle, is food-safe. I know some guys who put these in the dip tube for their kegs for homebrewing beer in order to offer resistance for higher-pressure setups to prevent excess foaming. The parts work fantastically but the question has been raised as to whether there were any unsafe substances that could possibly leach into the beer in the lines. Thank you.

Requested By
Corey Matzkanin (cmatzkanin@gmail.com)
(No company name given)
Norman, OK 73071
USA

Yep, pretty much Coastarine. I really appreciate how much detail he went into.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #82
fastricky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Well, let's assume it's OK...

Is this a technique that would benefit a nitro setup as well?

Old 04-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #83
simps984
Recipes 

I just received my order of 3. I'm going to try to put them all into one dip tube. I've got an Indian Brown Ale I just kegged yesterday, will insert these and put it on gas. I just let it sit for a while until carbed, so I won't know how it works for a while, but I'm planning on this: Keg is at ~40F, will set gas to 11psi, aiming for 2.3 volumes. I have 3 feet of beer line. Not exactly sure of the diameter. Have had foaming/carbonation issues before, so hopefully this will work. I will obviously report back with results.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:11 AM   #84
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by simps984 View Post
I just received my order of 3. I'm going to try to put them all into one dip tube. I've got an Indian Brown Ale I just kegged yesterday, will insert these and put it on gas. I just let it sit for a while until carbed, so I won't know how it works for a while, but I'm planning on this: Keg is at ~40F, will set gas to 11psi, aiming for 2.3 volumes. I have 3 feet of beer line. Not exactly sure of the diameter. Have had foaming/carbonation issues before, so hopefully this will work. I will obviously report back with results.
If I were you I would try 2 at most to start. It is much easier to add one than remove one from a full keg. When I put two in my keg I was pushing very slowly at 18 PSI.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #85
simps984
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
If I were you I would try 2 at most to start. It is much easier to add one than remove one from a full keg. When I put two in my keg I was pushing very slowly at 18 PSI.
Thanks for the tip, that's what I did. My keg is a little wonky, and it was kinda tricky getting these things into the diptube. I had to wiggle and twist them a little bit to get them going. Tube opening must be a shade narrower. Once they got in and I gave them a nudge, they slid down a bit. Fingers crossed I'll be able to get them out, lol.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #86
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sa-weet. I use all Corbra taps in my gangsta-style keger-at-a, so this is just what the doctor ordered... Since I have 14 kegs I'm ordering 28.

Finally I'll be able to carb my apfelwein at 3 volumes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 04-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #87
simps984
Recipes 

so beer is nearly carbed, and i pulled off a few glasses last night. these things are great! my beer flows really slowly, but the carbonation level is great, no more ridiculous amounts of foam. for the record, i have a 2-tap kegerator, with about 3.5 feet of beer line. so if you're considering this as a way to de-clutter your kegerator i highly recommend!

Old 04-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #88
duuude
Recipes 

i just put 2 in my keg and the pour is absolutely amazing, even at 14 psi. i am so happy i'm going to tell everyone in my brewing club at next weeks meeting. what a great idea!

Old 04-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #89
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I just kegged a wit last night, put 2 of these down the tube and hooked it up at about 17 psi. This is also my shortest liquid hose at 4.5 ft so I am hoping for little foam when it gets carbed up.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #90
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I am still getting a lot of foam with this in the dip tube. I had 2 in the tube on the previous keg but got clogged and had to transfer to a new keg. I put only 1 in because I just didn't want to transfer it again. Anyways, there is just as much foam as there was before.

This is on a 4.5ft hose with 15 PSI. I have 2 other taps with 10ft of hose on them and are really foamy too but haven't added one of these yet.

Quick Reply