Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > The cure for your short hose troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #461
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by agenthucky View Post
...... I put a piece of the delrin in non-diluted start san. Over a few days I didn't notice anything but it's still on my desk and the piece of delrin is almost all gone. Pretty much dissolved over a few months.
This bothers me.

I have a mixer installed in each of my cornys but I don't disassemble for every cleaning. I don't rinse after running starsan thru them either. I'm not comfortable with even the slightest chance of any leaching of this plastic into my keg/beer/mouth/body. I use one mixer with 6' of 3/16" beer line and get great pours at 12-14psi.

I've been thinking about other economical options. Has anyone just added a smooth stainless rod to the diptube? I would guess that the diameter, length and smoothness would be the determining factors in how much friction would be introduced. Given the 1/4"/0.250" id, I was thinking a 3/16"/0.1875", 5mm/0.197" or 6mm/0.236" rod might create an equivalent resistance to the mixer. I know nothing of fluid dynamics, so I don't have any idea how this friction equivalency would be calculated using the physical variables.

I plan to purchase rods with my next mcmaster order and test.

Edit: Did a few calculations and a solid 1/8" rod reduces the cross sectional area of a 1/4"ID diptube to 75% of the original. 4mm =>60%, 3/16" =>44%, 5mm =>38%, 6mm =>11% Not sure what that tells me. I don't know how to calculate the resulting flow resistance. I've only been able to find standard resistances for standard beer line diameters but no calculator to actually determine those resistance figures.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 03:55 AM   #462
BeachBeerBoobs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Haha. Okay, make sure you insert the swizzle sticks in the dip tube AFTER you insert the dip tube in the keg. Just learned that the hard way after losing 3 sticks in the keg. Whoops.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #463
forcabrew
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Anybody try these yet? Cut down to size maybe

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HZTGBC/ref=aw_d_var_2nd_industrial_txt?vs=1

Old 07-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #464
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Or I wondered about SS threaded rod, like here:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-rods/=i8waf0

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 07-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #465
itrider
Recipes 

Installed the Grainger part last night in my kegs. Wow! What a huge difference! Thanks for the tips.

Note: I have to IPA's on and a Wheat. I used 2 inserts per keg and they work, but very slowly (not complaining). I definitely should have started with just trying a single insert in the IPA's first.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #466
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
Edit: Did a few calculations and a solid 1/8" rod reduces the cross sectional area of a 1/4"ID diptube to 75% of the original. 4mm =>60%, 3/16" =>44%, 5mm =>38%, 6mm =>11% Not sure what that tells me. I don't know how to calculate the resulting flow resistance. I've only been able to find standard resistances for standard beer line diameters but no calculator to actually determine those resistance figures.
More important is the ratio of total surface area (tube and rod) to cross sectional area. This is why 3/16>1/4>3/8 line with respect to frictional coeffecient/length.

Rather than stainless rod/wire, I was thinking of using teflon cord (smooth) as an insert into beer line (accuflex bev-seal, of course). This would allow using 1/4" (or larger) for proper flow (cross section), while gaining improved friction/foot. It would work in 3/16" too, but flow (cross section) would be reduced. Given how good the bev-seal line is, just using more 3/16" line is a simpler option, but shorter hoses would be nice, so would more flow. Have you notice how much better most bar taps flow?

As for solvents- Teflon (PTFE) has no solvents that a homebrewer would ever expose gear to, or any other industrial use either for that matter. I don't think it leaches or off gasses anything either, except at very high temps.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #467
forcabrew
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I just bought two new perlicks with flow control

Old 07-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #468
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcabrew View Post
I just two new perlicks with flow control
If they would only make one out of stainless...
I am sure it is coming, but who knows when.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #469
narkotic
Recipes 

Well, I stumbled upon this thread while trying to figure out way way to lower the amount of foam produced by my new kegerator and thought, amazing! I placed an order for some of these devices and waited until the weekend to install.

Since I'm not using corny kegs, the hose is crimped to the end nut that goes to the sankey so there was no way I was going to be able to slip this in there. I then went to the faucet end of things and was able to remove the hose there since it's fitting was barbed. After all of that, the interior diameter of the hose is too small for one of these!

Bummer... Even at 5-6PSI I get tons of foam, what gives? I've purged the keg and re-filled, and use a very nice dual-regular setup...

Old 08-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #470
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkotic View Post
Well, I stumbled upon this thread while trying to figure out way way to lower the amount of foam produced by my new kegerator and thought, amazing! I placed an order for some of these devices and waited until the weekend to install.

Since I'm not using corny kegs, the hose is crimped to the end nut that goes to the sankey so there was no way I was going to be able to slip this in there. I then went to the faucet end of things and was able to remove the hose there since it's fitting was barbed. After all of that, the interior diameter of the hose is too small for one of these!

Bummer... Even at 5-6PSI I get tons of foam, what gives? I've purged the keg and re-filled, and use a very nice dual-regular setup...
Try the next size smaller. Beer line has a smaller diameter than the dip tube. That's what I put in my 3 ft picnic tap line that I use to pull the occasional sample from untapped kegs. Work patiently, this was much harder to do as the inserts are easy to break and the fit is tighter in the beer line.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply