Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > The cure for your short hose troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #31
nathan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

am I understanding correctly that it is desirable to have high pressure on some beers (wheat, saison, etc.) but that with the normal kegorator setup, this results in foamy beers. So the solution for you is to add resistance in the keg in this manner.

You can't turn down the psi, because you want the high level of carbonation.
you can't just have a multi-pressure setup, like the daisy-chained gauges some people have, because you still would need to put 10psi into the keg to keep it carbonated right, and it's the outflow at 10psi that causes it. (though multiple pressures would be good for other reasons, like low carbonation brews).

So the ideal would be a multi-pressure setup, so you can give the right psi to each keg, and then for highly carbed beers under higher pressure, to provide resistance in the dip tube appropriate for that psi or beer style?

If that's the case, has anyone considerred recording their psi settings, and different insert methods, and tracking over time, sharing the info, and seeing if maybe we could make a table that could serve as a rough guide for folks?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #32
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
I think these things would be a nice compliment to the BMBF process.
foaming isn't an issue with that wondrous invention of yours. At least not that I've seen.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #33
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Its not the size that matters, its how you use it right?

bigpapa7272 Likes This 
Old 02-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #34
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'm going to give these a shot, as well as Bobby's suggestion of adding smaller I.D. tubing in the dip tube. I think some people are a bit confused... this WILL NOT affect the carb level of the beer on tap, but can help balance the system. Your carb level will be the same whether you use these or not (based on the temperature and co2 pressure), these just help slow the beer down before it comes out of the tap, reducing foam.

.:diatonic:.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014) - Saison Mead (6/26/2014) - En Perpetuum (Belgian sour base) (7/3/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Aging in a wine barrel - En Perpetuum—Solera (1/23/2011)
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014)

My brew rig is pretty much done :)
You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

Old 02-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #35
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
foaming isn't an issue with that wondrous invention of yours. At least not that I've seen.
Right, but maybe we wouldn't need to reduce the pressure so much to fill bottles.

I just went home for lunch and found my order on my front porch. I ordered these things yesterday at 4:00PM. <<< [Mod Edit]I order to you dance Mr. Banana. Dance or I'll ban your ban.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 02-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #36
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I eagerly await your testing! my multi-pressure setup is a ways off, so $1 solutions to ease things up in the mean time sound good!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:48 PM   #37
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
I eagerly await your testing! my multi-pressure setup is a ways off, so $1 solutions to ease things up in the mean time sound good!
Before I left the house, I yanked a charging corny out of the Sanyo upstairs and dropped one in the dip tube. It should be drinkable tomorrow. It's my "Panzy Ale". A very low ABV (3.3%) beer for the SWMBO who loves her yellow fizzy beer. It has to be really carb'd up for proper taste and mouthfeel (ala light lager).

Hopefully I can keep the gas around 15 and still serve a highly effervescent beer without a 3" head. The other keg in the Sanyo is soda water.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 02-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #38
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This looks interesting, I may have to try this out for my travel kegs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 02-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #39
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

haha, 3" head! I'm pouring a bohemian pilsner that is more head than beer. I've got to pour, stick finger in head and stir angrily, wait, pour, repeat until I give up on a full pint, drink through head that refuses to die (not bad if it's only 1/4"), then go refill.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #40
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
OK, I tried two (all I had) of the smaller inserts inside a 3/8 beer line hooked to a picnic tap and a disconnect. The results were mixed. The total beer line length was only about 2.5 ft. My test beer was a keg at cellar temp (52 F). While the pour was nice and slow, it did foam more than I cared for. I think the major reason was that you still need some back pressure from a length of hose after the inserts. When I opened the tap, the inserts moved about 8 in. down the tubing making this problem worse. I could see the bubbles forming around the inserts. So it appears as though there is a minimum length of beer line that will be needed after the insert. Of course the beer being relatively warm I'm sure made this issue worse. I'll have to try it on a colder keg.
OK, I did some more testing and I think the problems I had with foaming was with the just the one keg (over carbed). Warrior stopped by on Friday to drop off some grain so of course we sampled some homebrews. On Thursday I moved 4 kegs out to the garage to cool them down so I could pour some samples from kegs that I didn't have room for in the kegerator. I had three kegs set up on 12 psi and they all poured just lovely with the picnic tap on the ~2.5 ft of 3/8 beer line with two of the smaller inserts. These beers were at 40 F, so I think temperature was also an issue with my first test. The 4th beer was my IPA that was just kegged on Wed. and then forced carbed. Even at 20 psi this beer poured very smoothly. Warrior had to leave before I tapped into this beer. Next time.

On Sat. we were heading out to visit my cousin so I quick filled some bottles from these kegs BMBF style by cramming a 12" tube in the end of the same picnic tap. It worked like a charm!
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply