HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > The cure for your short hose troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #121
dontman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotter View Post
I thought that was the idea, to get the same pour as if you had lower PSI while being able to keep the keg carbed at higher PSI. Or are you saying that the pour was slow like low PSI but foamy like high PSI? Thinking about the stainless version, and trying to clarify.
To clarify, on my Perlicks if I get 2 inches of foam with no rods at 10 PSI and then add rods it takes twice as long to pull the pint and there is still that same 2 inches of foam.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #122
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Hmmmm.......something is not right then. The slower pour should equal less foam. I wonder if there is some "obstruction" somewhere in the various connections, more likely in the shank/faucet that is causing extra turbulence. Any "bump" in the smooth flow (like where the line connects to the shank) will create turbulence and promote foaming. Obviously you can't do anything about the beer line to shank connection, but maybe there's something somewhere else.

I use the inserts with both a picnic tap and my faucets (Ventmatic/Shirron) and they work fine. I've had one keg where they didn't help much, and that keg was overcarbed. Taking care of the overcarb fixed it though.

Primary: Ger. Pils , OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), Saison
Brewing soon: light beer - yes, light beer, Saison
Recently kicked : ( Kolsch, IPA, Holiday Saison, Baltic porter,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 10-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #123
DNW
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is awesome! I'd like to know how in the world someone thought of using that device for this?

Anyways, I put two in my Hefe dip tube and it cured my problem immediately! Too bad I only have about 2 or 3 more pints left...

Oh well, I put one in my Oktoberfest and that seems to be working great too.

Thanks so much for this quick, cheep and easy fix!

-David

Brew on...

Old 10-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #124
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

The former Ventmatic company used to make a "Flowgate" which when spliced into a beer line, increased the path of the beer, mimicing a longer line. Someone in the Maltose Falcons HB club came up with a homemade one (on their website) where they took the epoxy mixer, and put it in a short tube and spliced it into the beer line. Voila, homemade flow gate.

Bobby M started a thread about adding resistance INSIDE the keg by making the dip tube longer, which led me to the Eureka, of, heck just stick the mixer in the dip tube and avoid splicing anything into the beer line.

Primary: Ger. Pils , OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), Saison

Old 10-19-2009, 03:38 AM   #125
Llama
Recipes 

I'm also have excessive foam troubles with Perlicks, 5ft hose, and these stirrers...

Old 10-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #126
Hound_Dog
Recipes 

This is funny. I just set up my kegging system this weekend, just read this thread today, and just happen to have a lot of those epoxy mixers. I doubt I'll be having foaming issues with my first beer on tap (Orfy's mild), because it is only carbonating at 4.5 PSI. Maybe I'll do a side by side on the next batch.

My dog smells like PineSol and he insists on sitting on my lap.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #127
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound_Dog View Post
This is funny. I just set up my kegging system this weekend, just read this thread today, and just happen to have a lot of those epoxy mixers. I doubt I'll be having foaming issues with my first beer on tap (Orfy's mild), because it is only carbonating at 4.5 PSI. Maybe I'll do a side by side on the next batch.
You are right! At first when I was kegging (I put my $.02 in on the stirrers a bunch of pages back) I loved these stirrers because they really helped me to serve my Belgian Pale and my APA kegs at 15 psi.

Cut to 9 months later and I have focused pretty much on UK beers and serving at 5 psi and having a couple stirrers in the tube I can pull the tap and come back 5 minutes later when it finishes. I take them out when I switch kegs but there is definitely no need for them on English bitter style beers.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #128
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
I loved these stirrers because they really helped me to serve my Belgian Pale and my APA kegs at 15 psi............

......... I take them out when I switch kegs but there is definitely no need for them on English bitter style beers.
That's the beauty of these things. One doesn't have to have a dedicated line with a flow-gate or something similar in it. You can use them with any keg or any beer line/tap in your system. Add them in, or take them out, depending on what style you are pouring.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #129
Stevorino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How many of these rods do you boys stick in the dip tube at one time? One doesn't seem to do much for me...

-Stevorino-_________________________________________
In Keezer:
1. BCS - Wet Hopped West Coast Blaster
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

Old 10-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #130
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

I've had good luck with using two. I've never tried just one.

Quick Reply