Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > The cure for your short hose troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #111
Drake371
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

These things would work great in a Immersion CHiller or a HEX ..... breaks up the boundary layer on the inside of the tubing for better heat exchanges....

just my two cents.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #112
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I finally checked my sampling picnic tap. Yes it is 3/8" Micromatic tubing that I put 3 of the 3/16" inserts into. I just checked my Ofest. Keg is currently at 70 F and @ ~25 psi. It was only a little more foamy than ideal with just a 2.5 ft line.

I think I might have heated up the tubing in hot water prior to putting the inserts in. I recall it was a tight fit.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 08-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #113
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I guess I won't give up just yet then. I know the tubing I was trying with was already cooled to 45F. The inserts are pretty delicate though and prone to snapping if pushed on too hard.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #114
blk94f150
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Simply awesome. I just put 2 of these into a keg of Belgian Wit that I had at 12PSI. I really wanted to run 15PSI, but with only 5ft it sucked to pour. Now 15PSI no problems. I may even run a 1/2 or 1/4 sized one in my 10 PSI beers.

Mike

Total noob.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #115
rshosted
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I read this post, and ordered a few of the 'swizzle sticks'. My review is a little mixed, but I took some photos to show.

I believe they helped, but not as dramatically as I had hoped. First, my setup is 5' of 3/16 bev line, temp 40*F (or colder), 15 psi. I have two on tap for about two weeks now, and they are/were pretty foamy. I poured them into small glasses to make the foam more noticeable.

All pours had a 'line clearing' pour first to prevent line foam affecting the pour. Forward seal faucets.

First pour ALE no swizzle sticks:

SECOND POUR ALE, with 3 Swizzle sticks:

First pour Oatmeal Nut Brown No swizzle:

Second pour oatmeal nut brown with 3 swizzle sitcks:

Here's a pic of the swizzle before going in:

Here's a another just for fun:

Here's a full beer pour with the large 18-20 ounce glass:

So, hopefully these pics help you all out. Just for those who want to know I wick the throttle open and closed to prevent foam. I can't think of anything else to help the foam, save turning down the pressure. Granted most probably don't carb up to 15 lbs, but for the ale's I like it, for the browns I like a little less.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:14 PM   #116
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3494 Times on 3385 Posts
Likes Given: 2

rshosted, I have the same 3/16, 5' lines as you and this solution hasn't helped much, if at all. I only 1 stick in each keg, though, so maybe that's the issue. I'm still working on it. I have a beer going to keg tomorrow that I'm going to set and forget instead of my usual force carbing. See if that helps.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:32 PM   #117
rshosted
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
rshosted, I have the same 3/16, 5' lines as you and this solution hasn't helped much, if at all. I only 1 stick in each keg, though, so maybe that's the issue. I'm still working on it. I have a beer going to keg tomorrow that I'm going to set and forget instead of my usual force carbing. See if that helps.
I agree, I'm not sure it helped that much with three.... I did notice how much slower it poured, but other than that, it was similar to turning down the pressure a little. I may try another beer with the pressure down a few notches to see how that works.

Though, I have been drinking all the 'test beer' and my fingers are a little tingly, so I don't know how objective I will be.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #118
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts

With two of these I have my Apfelwein and my Berliner Weiss on tap at 21 PSI and 42*F. Needless to say since I'm using ghetto picnic taps in my 'rator, I would get 100% foam without these wonderful devices.

This is the greatest thread I have ever run across. Outside of the FC anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 09-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #119
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

What I am finding is that these stirrers do not have the same effect between party taps and Perlicks. Or am I imagining this? I have an upstairs kegerator with two party taps and these things work like a dream. Downstairs I have 5 Perlicks connected and all I am getting from the stir rods is slow flow. Funny thing is that I am getting the same amount of foam in my glass regardless of fill speed with the Perlicks.

Oh man, something else for me to think about. Which tap a keg is ultimately destined for so that I can decide whether to put a stir rod in or not.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #120
spotter
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshosted View Post
I agree, I'm not sure it helped that much with three.... I did notice how much slower it poured, but other than that, it was similar to turning down the pressure a little.
I thought that was the idea, to get the same pour as if you had lower PSI while being able to keep the keg carbed at higher PSI. Or are you saying that the pour was slow like low PSI but foamy like high PSI? Thinking about the stainless version, and trying to clarify.

Quick Reply