Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > The cure for your short hose troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default The cure for your short hose troubles

Well I finally had some time to test an idea for reducing foaming on short beer lines. I finally rigged up my kegerator with a second regulator so I can serve wheats and Belgians at higher pressures alongside typically carbonated beers. I was concerned about foaming at the higher pressures and have been thinking about ways around it without having to add more beer line in order to control foaming. There was a recent thread by Bobby_M about foam control and there was the suggestion of adding beer line to the end of the dip tube, thinking along the the lines of the homemade flow-gate on the Maltose Falcon's website. I thought maybe the epoxy mixer insert they used would fit inside a dip tube, rather than splicing it in the beer line. I'm pleased to report the fit is perfect!!!!

I tested the old set up at the new pressures (16 psi, 8ft line) and it took just 1 sec to pour 100 ml. I took the keg out, depressurized it, undid the connector, sanitized two(2) of the inserts, put them in the diptube and put the connector back on. I put it back on line and did a test pour. This time it took four (4) seconds to pour 100 ml of beer. Success!!!!!

I got the part from McMaster.com, part # 74695A58 Bayonet Mixer Nozzle, 5.3" L, 1/4" Blunt Tip $1.38 each

The beauty of this is it is easy to put the inserts in our take them out so one doesn't have to dedicate certain kegs for highly carbonated beers or have beer line/taps dedicated to a them. All I have to do now is when I keg up a beer I want to be more highly carbed I just need to put two inserts in at kegging time. Done, no foaming. Heck I might even try 3 or 4 inserts in the dip tube and see If I can then reduce some of the spaghetti in the kegerator, maybe then only 3 ft would be needed for a good pour at 12 psi

Quote:
*UPDATE
One can also get the inserts from Grainger - in a 10 pack for a bit less than McMaster if you want a bunch

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LOC...x-Nozzle-3NVL6

Also, concerns about leaching from the Delrin inserts have been raised. Concentrated acids may cause some problems so that may be an issue when using StarSan. A safe alternative is to use ethanol or isopropanol
Here are photos of testing on an empty keg

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 983 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Way to run with it. I'll have to add a few to my next mcmaster order. I have a slight concern with the additional surface area to keep clean between changeovers but I bet running sanitizer through the diptube under pressure is fine.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I thought everybody used those. j/j that is a great idea.
CHeers
JJ

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 01-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
Jif
Recipes 

Never heard of these! They look pretty sweet. They just sit in the dip tube? I've got relatively short lines, just the one that came standard from KegConnection.com. If I actually get my fridge working I might have to buy some of these.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Way to run with it. I'll have to add a few to my next mcmaster order. I have a slight concern with the additional surface area to keep clean between changeovers but I bet running sanitizer through the diptube under pressure is fine.
These do come in and out pretty easily so they can be taken out for a good soak before reusing. I was a little concerned the fit was too loose, but it works just fine. When I finally installed them I decided my fear about the beer slipping past on the outside, bypassing the insert, was misplaced as the gaps in the mixer itself are bigger than any gap at the outside so the beer will take the path of least resistance, which is through the mixer.

And yup, they just go right down in the dip tube.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sweet. Now we want to see some videos and pics of beer poured from this arrangement.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nice idea...Any issues removing the mixer stick from the dip tube (i.e., getting stuck)?

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus
Elky Likes This 
Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

An easier method that doesn't involve getting the mixer out of the tube: use an x-acto to cut the flange and the fins off the back end, and on the output end, cut of the tip up to just after the first ring (go any further and the mixer will fall out). Now, take your liquid line that leads to the tap, and cut it in one place. Heat both ends up in warm liquid, and then do your best to push the flow gate into each end.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
Nice idea...Any issues removing the mixer stick from the dip tube (i.e., getting stuck)?
As Goldilocks would say, the fit is just right, not to loose, not too tight. I tested it in two different manufacturers kegs and I could tip the tube upside down (for the bent one) and in would easily come out. If it was a little sticky a light blow of air worked it out. If it gets stuck, these things are pretty fragile so a little ram rod would mash it into pieces.

To get the insert out of the mixer, I just used a phillips screwdriver to push it out backwards.

The beauty of this system is you don't have to mess with the beer lines, no clamps to fail, no additional leak hazards. Before doing this I hadn't really done much breaking down of kegs for cleaning. Now that I realize just how easy it is to undo the connector and take the dip tube out I will now always do this. Plus it makes it much easier to scrub the inside of the keg with the diptube pulled out.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:58 AM   #10
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Mine arrived today, installed in minutes, and the pour is now idiot-proof and I can properly carbonate my belgian and fruit beers! I gotta recommend this to anyone who kegs. Free at last!

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Quick Reply