Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Crown issue ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
teddybrews2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Crown issue ...

I have 2 types of crowns and apparently 2 types of bottles. The crown on the left will only go on to the left bottle. The crown on the right will go on either. I can't figure out why?

image-2628514433.jpg   image-2676191282.jpg   image-3926587815.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Nail
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you look at the necks and the area where the crown crimps on to you will see the difference. The area of the bottle on the right has a much smaller area for the crown to crimp on. Now looks at the picture of the crowns on the bottles. The gold crown has a smaller crimp area hence the reason the silver will not work on the bottle with the smaller area.

Neil

Primary: Hefeweizen
Kegged: Gumballhead Clone

Just getting set up to do All-Grain and kegging.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 460 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Actually both caps will work on both bottles, it's the difference in the bottles. The bottle on the left has a lower lip for the capper to grab on to as it crimps so you get a more complete crimp. The bottle on the right has a higher lip for the capper to grab so it does not have a full range to crimp but IME I have never had a problem with a bottle leaking.

I have bottles that are mixed like this as well and while the left style crimps better the right ones work well regardless of the caps I use. I do use the silver oxygen barrier caps on all my bottles. I have been told that if you purchase or use a bench capper instead of a wing capper the problem goes away as the bench capper does not utilize the lip for capping purposes

Old 07-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
dfaridoni
Recipes 

I had this exact problem as well and purchased a bench capper. That solves the problem of the neck variation plus makes bottling go faster. However, even though the caps aren't crimped completly with a lever capper they still won't leak. The problem I had was breaking the tops while capping

Quick Reply