Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Craigslist Fridge Temp Control Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Nierika
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Craigslist Fridge Temp Control Issues

I currently have a $20 fridge I scored off of craigslist. Plugged it in and it seemed to be working fine, except on 2 occasions I noticed the compressor didn't want to kick on. I have some bottles of ice in the freezer and both times this happened they were partially melted when I found out. When I opened the fridge part and pushed the button for the light (which seemed to stick a little) the compressor kicked right on. Is it possible that the temperature control is inside the housing, and/or connected to the light switch? I'm thinking it might just need to be cleaned. I want to figure this out before I start putting beer in there.

If cleaning doesn't work, I thought about replacing the temp control. Are temperature controls interchangeable for fridges and freezers. I ask, because I think I would like to upgrade to a keezer when we move into a bigger apartment in august. I would only want to spend $ on a temp control that I could use on the keezer. Anyone have a similar experience?

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
fratermus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingnierika
I currently have a $20 fridge I scored off of craigslist. Plugged it in and it seemed to be working fine, except on 2 occasions I noticed the compressor didn't want to kick on. I have some bottles of ice in the freezer and both times this happened they were partially melted when I found out.
Maybe it initiated a defrost cycle for some reason?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply