Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Craigslist Beverage Air Kegerator - should I do it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
phillyAC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Craigslist Beverage Air Kegerator - should I do it?

I've been watching craiglist for a while for a beverage air (looking to upgrade my home-made set-up and it recently died).

I'm going to see this Kegerator on Sunday - they were asking $350 but she said she would take $300.

My concern is this thing looks old (maybe the one before BM23?). I told the woman to have it plugged in and cold to look at on Sunday. What else should I look for when I check it out? (from poking around looks like I should check for rust in the seems inside etc). I'm guessing if I find anything of issue I could probably negotiate the price.

Her description is "This kegerator is in great shape and comes with a full CO2 tank. The lock is broken, but the door stays shut and can be opened/closed with a screwdriver."

The lock doesn't concern me - really concerned with it's ability to keep beer cold primarily.

I'm normally a lurker here but signed up since it's a big purchase - any help would be really appreciated - thanks!

Here are the pictures;

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 02:02 AM   #2
NTXBrauer
Prosit!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It looks like a BM23, just missing the rail around the top. Beverage Air is a commercial grade unit, and a new one is on the higher end of the price scale. This unit is comparable to one made by True. If everything on the inside looks good, fan works well and compressor sounds ok, then you may have a good find. I would mention the missing rail, broken lock and overall condition is not really what you had hoped for. Also know that if the compressor goes out, it will cost you more than it is worth to buy a new one. Then break out 2 nice new $100 bills and work it from there. This is my opinion only. I do enjoy CL negotiation. Good Luck.

People Like This 
Old 01-24-2014, 02:08 AM   #3
TheBlindBeastBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

What he said

Old 01-24-2014, 02:09 AM   #4
max384
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 227

I can't speak about that kegerator. However, when it comes to buying stuff off CL, I have a decent amount of experience. I generally ask what their 'low' price they'll take is. If it's something that I'm willing to spend, I'll go and take a look at it. Then once I get there I try to talk them down from their 'low' price. Only a couple of times I've been unsuccessful and walked out paying their 'low' price. Generally their 'low' price is still negotiable.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” -Winston Churchill

IBA # 56,419

phillyAC Likes This 
Old 01-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
phillyAC
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate it!

Old 01-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
Rockn_M
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 8

As long as it's cold when you get there you know it'll keep your beer cold. You can feel for drafts around the seams to make sure seals properly. I'd check to see how much heat comes from the compressor. If it puts out a lot of heat it might be on it's legs or just dirty.

Good Luck. Let us know what you do.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
phillyAC
Recipes 

Well - ended up not getting it. When I saw it when their garage door opened I kind of already knew it wasn't going to work out. From the pictures posted I thought it was the black outside (BM-23 maybe) but once I got there I could see it was actually brown and likely the model before that.

This thing looked like it was from the 1970s. The outside was kind of rusty, it looked very rough. Also the previous owner had drilled right into the side of it to have the CO2 tube come out the side of it. It wasn't sealed in any way it was very sloppy.

Honestly if this thing was offered to me for free I wouldn't have wanted it in my house.

Haha oh yes - also it was in an unheated garage and the thermo on my car said it was 33 degrees outside so there was no way for me to test if it was working properly or not.

Guess you can't win em all! I'll continue to keep an eye out but after this I'm almost thinking I just save up and buy a new one off a restaurant supply website instead.

Thanks again for the advice!

Old 01-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
theck
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 60

If it where me I'd pass... I keep an eye out for these things and see them from $100 to $400, all vary in condition but saw some very nice ones for $125-150. If it was a almost new one I'd drop a max of $200. I'd say just get a nice $40-60 (5.5 or 7.4) freezer and some systems from CL and convert it to a keezer, hold more kegs and won't take up much more room.

Co2 Taps: xmas ale (for july), Cider, Belgium Strong Ale, kolsch
Nitro Tap: Stout
Fermenting: Saison, Red Ale, ESB, brett infected, Pale Ale
Next to Brew: ESB (again)

Quick Reply