Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Couple newb kegging questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
newfiebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Couple newb kegging questions?

Hey guys, I just recently kegged my first beer a irish red and have had mega foam issues due force carbing and shaking at 30psi for 15 min(lessoned learned).

I have since switched to 3/16 beer line (10ft) and the foam is less but still not great....I guess that diameter tubing and a slowly carbed beer will turn out better on my next batch. Shaking equals foam I quess!!

My question is if i do not plan on having any beers for a few days do I leave the beer line attached to the keg? Should i keep the gas line attached and turned on a certain psi? The beer is carbed albeit foamy as hell so if I leave the gas attached will it overcarb or just stop once a certain pressure is reached. I have tried removing the beer line but how do you remove beer from 10ft of unattached line....won't that dry up in the line???

thanks

Jamie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
ericbw
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiebrew View Post
Hey guys, I just recently kegged my first beer a irish red and have had mega foam issues due force carbing and shaking at 30psi for 15 min(lessoned learned).

I have since switched to 3/16 beer line (10ft) and the foam is less but still not great....I guess that diameter tubing and a slowly carbed beer will turn out better on my next batch. Shaking equals foam I quess!!

My question is if i do not plan on having any beers for a few days do I leave the beer line attached to the keg? Should i keep the gas line attached and turned on a certain psi? The beer is carbed albeit foamy as hell so if I leave the gas attached will it overcarb or just stop once a certain pressure is reached. I have tried removing the beer line but how do you remove beer from 10ft of unattached line....won't that dry up in the line???

thanks

Jamie

Keep the pressure on and the keg cold. It will equilibrate or equalize. Keep the beer line attached and cold. Removing it and attaching everytkne you drink is asking for a hassle.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Shaking @ 30 psi = foam (unless you have some experience with this and know about how long to shake). Shaking @ 10 psi would accomplish the same thing without the danger of overcarbing.

Yes, you want to leave the beer line attached all the time. The usual carbing and serving pressure is around 10-12 psi. At this pressure, it cannot overcarb. Unfortunately, however, your beer is already overcarbed due to the shaking. To fix that, turn off the gas and pull the pressure relief valve several times over the next day or two to bleed off CO2 from the beer. Once you get foam free pours, turn the gas back on to 12 psi and leave it there. If after a couple of weeks at 12 psi you decide it can stand some more carbonation, raise it another 1 or 2 psi and wait a couple more weeks.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Disconnect the gas line and release keg pressure multiple times a day for a few days and you can fix your overcarb condition. You can likely speed up the process by shaking then releasing, but aren't you tired of shaking your beer?

In the future, if you want to carbonate quicker, either 30psi for a day with no shaking, or 10psi with shaking.

Horizocade Amber
Rochefort 7

In the Chamber:
Nada

Next Up:
Big Breasted Blonde

Old 07-14-2014, 10:43 PM   #5
newfiebrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks all...lesson learned.Release the excess co2 and keep the beer line attached.

thanks.

Jamie.

Quick Reply