Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Correct way to keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
mrbeachroach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Correct way to keg

Hello all, I was looking for the proper way to put c02 to the cornellious kegs. What i did is apply about 30 psi for the last 4-5 days and shook the keg for the first 2 minutes then i have not touched it. The pressure is still applied to the keg.

Iv read that after applying pressure you should bleed the pressure valve every few minutes for about 5 minutes then you should unhook the co2?
i don't wasn't my beer full of foam and no beer. So what should i have done and what should i do now? Also what is the psi it should be at for serving? THank you.

I

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
bribo179
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I get the keg to serving temp. Then I hit it with 30 psi for 24 hours. Then I drop it to serving psi and let itty sit a couple of days.

This is the quick and dirty way. They better will be drinkable...but will taste better in a couple of weeks.

You can also just put it on your serving psi and it will can in three weeks.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 127

What temperature did you do this at? If it was chilLed you are over-carbed. If it was room temp you might be Ok, but 4-5 days at 30psi is a long time. If you are over-carb'd you need to release pressure a few times per day to slowly purge the excess CO2. It will take some time.

I usually do 30psi for 24 hours at room temp. Cool. Hook up to CO2 at serving pressure for 1 week.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 265

4-5 days at 30 will probably have you waaaay over carbed.

When I'm in a hurry I go 30 psi for about 24-36 hours at about 35 degrees. Otherwise it 12 psi set and forget.

I learned through trial and error...

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-i-guess-its-my-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You better purge and set it at serving pressure, and temperature. 4-5 days at 30psi is WAY more than anyone would ever recommend. You're probably already seriously over-carbonated (unless the keg is at over 65F).

Use this chart to set the pressure, at serving temperature, and leave it that way for 2-3 weeks before pulling a pint.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply