Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Correct Dispensing Pressure?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 12:02 AM   #11
modenacart
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 631
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

If you are using a draft tower, foam may also becoming from the tower being too warm. If the beer warms up too much, the CO2 in suspension will come out of the beer causing foam.

__________________
modenacart is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
hellbender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hellbender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hiwassee, VA
Posts: 91
Default Day of Reckoning

Well, I got my portable draft system set up. (2.5 Gal keg, 8' of 3/16 ID vinyl beer line) Slow carbed the brew at 12psi for about 9 days. I'm thinking I can crank it out at 12psi with that much beer line. Nope . . .just a trip into foam land. After a little experimentation I finally got a good pour at 5 psi. WTF? I am glad I got got a good pour but who could have predicted an appropriate dispensing pressure?

__________________

Regards,
hellbender

On Deck: Hefeweizen
Primary: English Pale Ale, Apfelwein, Graff
Secondary: English Bitter
Drinking: Apfelwein, Amber Ale


hellbender is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2008, 08:58 PM   #13
hellbender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hellbender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hiwassee, VA
Posts: 91
Default And By the Way . . .

The beer was great . . . . just wish I had a better handle on dispensing.





Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbender View Post
Well, I got my portable draft system set up. (2.5 Gal keg, 8' of 3/16 ID vinyl beer line) Slow carbed the brew at 12psi for about 9 days. I'm thinking I can crank it out at 12psi with that much beer line. Nope . . .just a trip into foam land. After a little experimentation I finally got a good pour at 5 psi. WTF? I am glad I got got a good pour but who could have predicted an appropriate dispensing pressure?
__________________

Regards,
hellbender

On Deck: Hefeweizen
Primary: English Pale Ale, Apfelwein, Graff
Secondary: English Bitter
Drinking: Apfelwein, Amber Ale

hellbender is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 12:39 AM   #14
McSwiggin'
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 183
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Are the lines running through anything cold? What kind of portable system is it (jockey box, cold plate etc...). If it's just a line with a cobra tap, and you're serving this college style, it may require a lower psi do to less resistance. A faucet and shank will ad more resistance. Temperature is critical though. Is you're beer cold? If you're beer isn't at the correct temp you are going to have issues. I am betting it's a temperature issue.

__________________
McSwiggin' is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #15
Baron ken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gardner, Kansas
Posts: 372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Hellbender,
You don't change your pressure to match your tubing ID and length. It's the other way around. You decide how carbonated you want your beer and based on the temp of the fridge you set the pressure to get you there. Once you know the pressure, you size your tubing so it doesn't dispense foam or dribble out. This can be anything between 3-10 feet. So, you probably wonder how you go about changing the tubing length all the time. You don't have to, if you make it too long, it just pours a little slow. If you make it too short you get a cup of foam. What's wrong with a slow pour? Nothing. 10 feet it is. It works great from 10-20i (that's an English Bitter up to a Wheat for me)
Are you making a new beer line for each beer? Or do you just use the same pressure/temp (i.e. volumes co2) for each beer?
__________________
Baron ken is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 01:11 AM   #16
hellbender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hellbender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hiwassee, VA
Posts: 91
Default

The keg is immersed in ice with the beer line running on top but not in the ice. The whole mess is contained in a closed Igloo cooler. The beer was quite cold. The keg spent 9 days in a 36 Deg fridge. I am using a shank and faucet which penetrates the sidewall of the picnic cooler. Perhaps you are right that the excessive foam at higher dispensing pressure may be caused by having 8' of beer line not actually in contact with the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSwiggin' View Post
Are the lines running through anything cold? What kind of portable system is it (jockey box, cold plate etc...). If it's just a line with a cobra tap, and you're serving this college style, it may require a lower psi do to less resistance. A faucet and shank will ad more resistance. Temperature is critical though. Is you're beer cold? If you're beer isn't at the correct temp you are going to have issues. I am betting it's a temperature issue.
__________________

Regards,
hellbender

On Deck: Hefeweizen
Primary: English Pale Ale, Apfelwein, Graff
Secondary: English Bitter
Drinking: Apfelwein, Amber Ale

hellbender is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 01:15 AM   #17
hellbender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hellbender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hiwassee, VA
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron ken View Post
Are you making a new beer line for each beer? Or do you just use the same pressure/temp (i.e. volumes co2) for each beer?
This is the first time I have used thuis setup. I was actually thinking that 8' of 3/16 beer line was a bit excessive at 12 psi but I wanted to err on the side of caution since I didn't want too much foam and don't mind a slow pour. I was shocked that with this much line and a shank and faucet, that I would have to dial it down so much.
__________________

Regards,
hellbender

On Deck: Hefeweizen
Primary: English Pale Ale, Apfelwein, Graff
Secondary: English Bitter
Drinking: Apfelwein, Amber Ale

hellbender is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 04:54 AM   #18
Kauai_Kahuna
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,276
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbender View Post
This is the first time I have used thuis setup. I was actually thinking that 8' of 3/16 beer line was a bit excessive at 12 psi .
Edit - Self corrected - my fractions never were that good. 3/16th is the way to go.

No expert, but if I remember correctly with 3/16th line you would need around 20 feet or more to drop the pressure. If you used 5/16th you could get away with 11 to 13 lbs and 6 feet, depending on the distance up from the keg to spigot / faucet. You could see if you could put in a 5/16th choke point before the faucet to help drop the pressure if you don't have access to 5/16th beer line.
__________________

Reason: Wrong answer -
Kauai_Kahuna is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 05:35 AM   #19
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beerthirty's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 2,651
Liked 27 Times on 12 Posts

Default

I had a foaming problem. After reading this thread I cut the 5 foot 3/16 out and doubled it to 10 feet then poured one. just head foam, thnaks Bobby

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
"I've got a fever... and the only prescription is, MORE CARBOYS!"
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.
beerthirty is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Correct CO2 Pressure for Chill on Demand System GuateBrewer Bottling/Kegging 2 09-08-2008 02:45 PM
What's the correct way to drop to serving pressure? Stevorino Bottling/Kegging 2 06-05-2008 04:12 PM
Dispensing Pressure? redneckbeagle Bottling/Kegging 9 05-23-2008 07:36 PM
Dispensing pressure VS Serving pressure EricK The Red Bottling/Kegging 10 03-01-2008 06:06 AM
Correct pressure of CO2 EricS Bottling/Kegging 10 12-27-2007 04:11 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS