Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Corny vs firestone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 06:50 AM   #1
irishwater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Corny vs firestone

They are both ball lock so they have the same fittings? and if so what is the difference

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Well, I have a couple old Firestone kegs, and one major difference is the pressure relief valves. I had to replace one, and I simply could not find one. At least with my keg, there was no piece welded to the lid for a standard relief valve to fit into; the lid itself just had a hole, and the valve was two pieces of plastic on either side.

If you've got a choice between cornie and Firestone, go with cornie simply because of the much greater availability of parts.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 253 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
If you've got a choice between cornie and Firestone, go with cornie simply because of the much greater availability of parts.
+1. Also stick with one kind, ie; Ball Lock, so you don't have to have different connectors. I use only Ball Lock and they work great if you clean them in between uses.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Cookiebaggs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Well, I have a couple old Firestone kegs, and one major difference is the pressure relief valves. I had to replace one, and I simply could not find one. At least with my keg, there was no piece welded to the lid for a standard relief valve to fit into; the lid itself just had a hole, and the valve was two pieces of plastic on either side.

I have two firestone ball locks with the plastic pressure relief valves. Fortunately mine still work well. If or when they start to leak, I plan on simply removing them and somehow plugging the hole in the lid. You don't really need them given the low keg pressures we are dealing with serving and force carbing beer. I'll just use a small screw driver to depress the "in poppet" when de-pressurizing.

I can't see buying a replacement pressure relief valve that costs more than the keg itself.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiebaggs
I have two firestone ball locks with the plastic pressure relief valves. Fortunately mine still work well. If or when they start to leak, I plan on simply removing them and somehow plugging the hole in the lid. You don't really need them given the low keg pressures we are dealing with serving and force carbing beer. I'll just use a small screw driver to depress the "in poppet" when de-pressurizing.

I can't see buying a replacement pressure relief valve that costs more than the keg itself.
I *did* want to have a pressure relief valve, so I ended up buying a replacement (used) lid that, after shipping, cost me just about as much as the keg did! I now have a lid with a clean hole in it... a hole that would fit an airlock and a stopper very nicely. So, I'm thinking that I can use it as a secondary.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
discgolfin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I *did* want to have a pressure relief valve, so I ended up buying a replacement (used) lid that, after shipping, cost me just about as much as the keg did! I now have a lid with a clean hole in it... a hole that would fit an airlock and a stopper very nicely. So, I'm thinking that I can use it as a secondary.

Thats the problem with buying used kegs for cheap..if you need to replace any major parts like lid or posts u end up spending more than u first did. I have a few firestone..plastic relief works on both for now.

J

Primary: DFH 60 IPA
Secondaty: Blond Ale, Apfelwine, Crandaddy mead
Bottle: Blue moon clone,Kolsch, Eds House Ale, Barley wine, Stone IPA, Oatmeal stout, Hefe,

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

Quick Reply