New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Corny not dispensing!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
Mdowling56
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Corny not dispensing!!!

Hi guys,

So I decided at the last min to keg a batch for a party next week. This is my first time using a Corny keg and because of the time crunch did not practice due diligence by checking the keg completely first.

So anyway, here I am a week later and I cant get it to dispense correctly! I put about 20 PSI on it today just to give her a taste and all I get out of my picnic tap is a slow dribble. The keg is getting and holding pressure just fine, it just wont dispense!

One thing thats kind of odd is that if i let it sit for a min, and then try to take a draw off of the picnic tab, I get a tiny little fart of pressure/liquid, but this it goes right back to the slow dribble.

This sound familiar to anyway? I know i'm prob going to have to take the fitting / dip-tube out but with 5 gallons of beer in it i'm not all that jazzed to do that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3848 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdowling56 View Post

I know i'm prob going to have to take the fitting / dip-tube out but with 5 gallons of beer in it i'm not all that jazzed to do that.
Yep. Take it off of the gas, and purge the keg first. Then remove the "out" post and pull out the poppit and diptube. Hold the diptube up to the light and see if you can see daylight through it. If not, you found your problem! Rinse with hot water, resanitize, and put it all back. Rinse the poppit, too, and resanitize.

Do you have another black quick disconnect for the "out" post? Just in case it's the quick disconnect?

Old 11-29-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
Sanspareil
Recipes 

Change your liquid disconnect. I have had two that were bad

Old 03-15-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
MSP
Recipes 

So here's a puzzler. Same symptom as described above, except:

1) I have (4) corny kegs and 3 work fine. So definitely not the liquid disconnect.
2) The one corny keg that dispenses slowly does not have any obstructions in the dip tube. I can pressurize with cleaning fluid, press the poppit with a screwdriver, and it gushes out freely.

So here's my theory. The keg in question is a converted Firestone pin lock keg. Could it be that Keg Connection put the wrong type of poppit valve in, and my liquid disconnect simply isn't pressing it down fully enough? And if this theory is correct, what do you think I would need to do to fix it?

Old 03-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 806 Times on 670 Posts

That's as good a theory as any, and has been reported here before. If you have a second converted pinlock with the same fittings, swap the Out posts between them and see if the problem moves with the post. If it does, take a pic of the two poppets and send it to Keg Connection and have them send you a good poppet.

If you don't have a matching keg to work with, things get a bit tougher...

Cheers!

Old 03-15-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
MSP
Recipes 

Thankfully I bought two, so it should be easy to test. Thanks for the tip!

Old 03-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
MSP
Recipes 

Contacted Keg Connection and they're sending me a replacement poppet, no questions asked. You gotta love customer service like that!

Quick Reply