Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Corny Kegs rust?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
discgolfin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Corny Kegs rust?

I know they are supposed to be stainless Steel..but anyone else find specks on the instide of there kegs that seems or apears to be specs of rust...I would assume this is from nicks or gouges.

Jay

Primary: DFH 60 IPA
Secondaty: Blond Ale, Apfelwine, Crandaddy mead
Bottle: Blue moon clone,Kolsch, Eds House Ale, Barley wine, Stone IPA, Oatmeal stout, Hefe,

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hummm, maybe someone cleaned them with something that cleaned another rust-able metal. I would clean them really good and use BKF (barkeepers friend) to passivate the stainless. If you keep getting it, maybe sand down those areas and then passivate before use. I have one weld on a keg that the guy must have used a wire brush to clean up. It rusts easily so I have to really watch it. I also had a spec on my false bottom once. It was there forever and I tried to clean it like I suggested earlier. One time I check and it isn't there any more and hasn't returned???? Phantom rust maybe. I will bet though that someone used something with rust on it to clean it and it made it into a little crack or something.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Never noticed that myself, in any of my 6 kegs.

Anything that destroys the passivation layer can do it, AFAIK. Nicks and gouges are one possibility, as is using unsuitable scrubbers (like steel wool, and/or overdoing it with the wrong kind of scotch-brite), or using chemicals which can eat it away. FWIW, don't ever use oxiclean in your kegs for anything longer than a quick soak. If you clean up the rust and treat it right to let it re-passivate itself, it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
IFP
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjaeger
NFWIW, don't ever use oxiclean in your kegs for anything longer than a quick soak.
I've soaked my kegs and SS kettle for hours in Oxyclean, on multiple occasions, thinking it was harmless. Am I risking damage?

Old 03-27-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
5 Is Not Enough
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFP
I've soaked my kegs and SS kettle for hours in Oxyclean, on multiple occasions, thinking it was harmless. Am I risking damage?
Oxyclean is an oxidant. It will speed the process of oxidation up, but I don't think it will eat through the chromium film. I accidentally soaked the lid for my SS pot for about 3 days, and it left little pits in it, but not rust.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I soaked a blowoff tube in a SS bowl full of oxiclean overnight. In the morning I picked it up and there was liquid on the counter - the oxiclean ate pinholes in the bottom of the bowl, you can actually see light through it. It wasn't rust, but perhaps if I had left it wet after this happened it may have rusted due to the damage. It did seem to be localized - rather than eating up the whole surface it was touching, it only ate away in a few localized places, leaving the metal sort of rough looking - but the rest of the bowl looked unharmed. Perhaps it can only eat into the metal if there are minor existing nicks or scratches where it can 'get started', in which case it may be fine in some cases but destroy the metal in others. I had also used quite a lot of oxiclean powder that time, so there was some undissolved on the bottom, which may have contributed significantly to the problem.

In any case, that was enough of a lesson for me - now I never leave oxiclean in stainless for more than 20-30 minutes, usually even less than that.

Last edited by Funkenjaeger; 03-27-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
5 Is Not Enough
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjaeger
I had also used quite a lot of oxiclean powder that time, so there was some undissolved on the bottom, which may have contributed significantly to the problem.
Now that you mention that, I think that's what happened to my lid. I sprinkled oxy over the whole tub full of water and I don't think I mixed it in well enough. Everywhere that there was a little granule was where it pitted it...

Old 04-02-2008, 12:50 AM   #8
rollinred
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I hope all of you know that Stainless Steel is not rust resistant, it is simply rust preventative.

Stainless is only different in that is steel melted and mixed with very small amounts of nickle and chromium. And it is usually coated in some form of oil that just wears of in short order.

A very good trick is to use some mineral oil to protect the surface right after you clean the keg. Trust me just do it. Its very cheap, just put it on a rag and wipe down the keg. NEVER use vegtable oil though, it coagulates and makes really nasty stuff for bacteria to grow in.

I work at Hobart food equipment so I deal with stainless all day and customers always complain about thier stainless equipment rusting and corroding. But they usually dont understand that stainless needs to be protected like all other metals.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #9
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This stuff works wonders. A few drops on the rust spots followed by a soft scrub pad, and they are gone.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 04-02-2008, 01:25 AM   #10
Barley-Davidson

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinred
A very good trick is to use some mineral oil to protect the surface right after you clean the keg. Trust me just do it. Its very cheap, just put it on a rag and wipe down the keg.
Nice tip, rollin. Must be cool working with those giant mixers.

Would the same mineral oil rub apply to stainless appliances and grills?

Quick Reply