Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Corny kegs, one less cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #11
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-brewmeister

Will it work? Should I just bite the bullet and figure out how to refrigerate all my beer in 5 gal cornys? By the way, I just ordered the Whirlpool fridge I was looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7505402662&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 [img]chrome://targetalert/content/skin/new.png[/img]

the price was right, and I really need a second fridge in my appartment anyway, just to hold all my condiments, salad dressings etc (oh yeah, and some beer stuff too). I bet I won't be able to fit 5 gals in there easily, but I am thinking about getting some 3 or 2.5 ers for it.

That is the EXACT fridge I have for my draft set-up. I can fit one 5 gal corny and one 3 gal corny. Its perfect for my needs. If oyu need it, I can take some pics of where I drilled and how I manipulated the freezer section to work for a 5 gal corny. The whole project took me about 2 hours to do.
If you go with two 3 gal cornys you'l probably be able to get away with keeping most of the shelves in it. I had to remove all of mine but its a dedicated beer fridge so that didn't bother me.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2005, 08:41 PM   #12
D-brewmeister

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrelse
That is the EXACT fridge I have for my draft set-up. I can fit one 5 gal corny and one 3 gal corny. Its perfect for my needs. If oyu need it, I can take some pics of where I drilled and how I manipulated the freezer section to work for a 5 gal corny. The whole project took me about 2 hours to do.
Sweet! Thanks for the response, and yeah, I would love to see some picks about how you set it up for kegs. I suppose that if you put 5 gals in it, you have to make the freezer unusable, but you wouldn't have to if you just had smaller kegs in it?
Guid ale keeps my heart aboon!
-- Robert Burns

Old 04-17-2005, 06:21 PM   #13
D-brewmeister

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I just got my new fridge, and I think it looks pretty cool, all black and everything. I just tried to stick in a 5 gal corny, and it seems to fit under the freezer compartment just fine (I will have to take off the little plastic door in front of it. I dig this, because it means I probably should not have to do any major reconfiguring to the inside of the fridge, except of course removing all the shelves and stuff, which is good as I might want to be able to sell the fridge at some point, like when I get a bigger place and want to upgrade. I dunno. There is one issue that I see, however:

The door has a plastic liner, with clips and stuff for the door bottle holders and stuff, and there is a big lip at the bottom of this liner. With that lip sticking into the bottom of the fridge, the door won't close when a keg is in there, as it reduces the floor area to around 6-7 inches deep. So my question is: How do I remove that door liner, with out totaly destroying it? I peeled back the rubber door gasket a bit and didn't see any obvious screw heads or anything, so is it just some sort of pressure fit? Should I just say to hell with keeping the fridge sellable and go to town, rip the door up, drill some holes through for taps etc.

Oh, and one more thing, has anyone had any luck installing a tap tower in a fridge that has a freezer compartment at the top?

Guid ale keeps my heart aboon!
-- Robert Burns

Old 04-18-2005, 11:05 AM   #14
zprime
Recipes 

You'll have to watch the top of the fridge....we discovered with the one we bought this weekend that the freezer is where all the cold comes from so to remove the freezer is to remove the cold.

We discovered that we could take the screws loose in the freezer and kind of push it up....if I get the chance I'll post some pictures. Then if you take the bottom shelf, the small one and put like a couple of blocks under it (in my case i did a couple of 2x4 scraps on the bottom of the fridge the door will close under the keg, with the only modification being the removed screws, which should be able to be undone. Might not work in yours but might be worth investigating.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:12 AM   #15
phuzle
Recipes 

is keg conditioning the same as bottle conditioning? i just got an all grain setup and now i want to start kegging and brewing more... can i just put in 3/4 cup of corn sugar into a 5 gallon keg and let it sit two weeks in the basement?

Old 04-19-2005, 10:28 AM   #16
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The ones with experience can chime in and over-ride my thoughts here, but I've been reading on it a little bit with the intent of going to kegging. It seems to me that with kegging, you can 'force carbonate' your beer and never have to add these primers to get it to carbonate itself. With this method, you get no sludge in the bottom of the keg because there are no more sugars and because you can put it right to the fridge which would stop yeast activity. I'm not certain wether going right to the fridge is the right approach since it seems that the temperature will affect the time it takes the beer to carbonate using this method. I forget which it is, but either hotter or colder makes the gas absorbtion into the beer take longer. Not that it wouldn't happen, but it would just take longer. In my case where I have plenty of fridge space, I plan to keg and put it straight in the fridge. As far as conditioning, putting it in the fridge will be the difference, not really kegging vs. bottling.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:27 PM   #17
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuzle
is keg conditioning the same as bottle conditioning? i just got an all grain setup and now i want to start kegging and brewing more... can i just put in 3/4 cup of corn sugar into a 5 gallon keg and let it sit two weeks in the basement?
It depends on what your plans are with the beer in the keg. If you are going to bottle it out of the keg, don't carbonate it in the keg. Rack it to a bottling bucket, mix your corn sugar there and bottle like normal.

If you are getting into kegging so you can serve out of the keg, then you just carbonate using a CO2 tank. The point of kegging is to avoid all the excess stuff that comes from adding more sugar to carbonate. You rack it into the keg from your primary or secondary (preferably a secondary), chill it, then hook up your CO2 source set the correct pressure for the volumes of CO2 you want based on the beer's chilled temp, and wait around five to seven days. Then tap it and enjoy.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:28 PM   #18
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerNeedOfBeer
The ones with experience can chime in and over-ride my thoughts here, but I've been reading on it a little bit with the intent of going to kegging. It seems to me that with kegging, you can 'force carbonate' your beer and never have to add these primers to get it to carbonate itself. With this method, you get no sludge in the bottom of the keg because there are no more sugars and because you can put it right to the fridge which would stop yeast activity. I'm not certain wether going right to the fridge is the right approach since it seems that the temperature will affect the time it takes the beer to carbonate using this method. I forget which it is, but either hotter or colder makes the gas absorbtion into the beer take longer. Not that it wouldn't happen, but it would just take longer. In my case where I have plenty of fridge space, I plan to keg and put it straight in the fridge. As far as conditioning, putting it in the fridge will be the difference, not really kegging vs. bottling.
The colder the solution, the easier it is for gas to dissolve in it at lower pressures.

Old 04-19-2005, 03:43 PM   #19
phuzle
Recipes 

well, the reason i asked is because i can get some kegs very cheaply, but i dont have the money to shell out for a co2 system, at least not yet (and i dont have space in my fridge, so i dont want to buy a new fridge any time soon). i was hoping i could keg condition - i dont really care about yeast at the bottom or anything, cause there really wouldnt be THAT much yeast. i just want to buy a few cornys and a tap, and drink the whole keg in one night.

so, can i keg condition? 3/4 cup corn sugar into a corny will work just fine, as long as i drink all the beer in a few hours?

Old 04-19-2005, 11:45 PM   #20
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuzle
well, the reason i asked is because i can get some kegs very cheaply, but i dont have the money to shell out for a co2 system, at least not yet (and i dont have space in my fridge, so i dont want to buy a new fridge any time soon). i was hoping i could keg condition - i dont really care about yeast at the bottom or anything, cause there really wouldnt be THAT much yeast. i just want to buy a few cornys and a tap, and drink the whole keg in one night.

so, can i keg condition? 3/4 cup corn sugar into a corny will work just fine, as long as i drink all the beer in a few hours?
Can you? Sure. I've never tried it but I've heard of people who have. I've never met one, though.

You'll still need something to provide pressure to move the beer from the keg. One way or the other, you're going to have to get some type of gas (usually CO2, but some people have used nitrogen as well) to hook up to the keg and provide the necessary pressure to force the beer out of it.

The mini-CO2 cartridges will work, but if you use very many of them you will probably come close to the cost of a CO2 tank anyway.

Quick Reply