Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Cornelius Queries

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 02:24 PM   #1
jfrizzell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Cornelius Queries

I keep hearing that Cornelius kegs are available to home brewers because Coke and Pepsi have switched to bag-in-box technology. I've also heard that some people have had luck getting kegs from their local Coke or Pepsi bottlers. So...I thought I'd give them a call and see what I could find out. Both told me that they're still distributing soda in the kegs and they don't sell them.

Is this a regional thing? Perhaps they still distribute a certain amount in kegs for people that haven't made the switch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell
I keep hearing that Cornelius kegs are available to home brewers because Coke and Pepsi have switched to bag-in-box technology. I've also heard that some people have had luck getting kegs from their local Coke or Pepsi bottlers. So...I thought I'd give them a call and see what I could find out. Both told me that they're still distributing soda in the kegs and they don't sell them.

Is this a regional thing? Perhaps they still distribute a certain amount in kegs for people that haven't made the switch?
You won't get much cooperation from the big soda companies.

Get ahold of someone like www.brewersdiscount.com or beveragefactory.com...

They have reasonable prices on functional cornies.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
You won't get much cooperation from the big soda companies.

Get ahold of someone like www.brewersdiscount.com or beveragefactory.com...

They have reasonable prices on functional cornies.
Thanks. I figured it was a long shot but thought I'd give it a try. I've been looking at Brewers Discount and they did have two kegs for $38, but I don't see that anymore. Looks like they're $25 each now. I emailed them about a week ago asking if they still had them for that price and haven't heard back from them. Need to give them a call.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It is true that some accounts still require cornies for soda and it has something to do with the syrup in a box requiring a bulk order. I don't know why, but they're able to order one or two cornies of each type of syrup but they'd have to buy say 12 boxes of each type if they want that. The other issue is having to change out to syrup pumps instead of forcing it out of a corny with CO2 they already need to have.

Of course, homebrewers have access now because the corny usage is probably only 5% of what it was at one point. There's surplus.

You don't want to call the big companies, you want the local distributors. Most of them have unloaded all the cornies that they don't need to places that now sell them. I have no doubt the markup is about 400%.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 08-31-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Thanks. I figured it was a long shot but thought I'd give it a try. I've been looking at Brewers Discount and they did have two kegs for $38, but I don't see that anymore. Looks like they're $25 each now. I emailed them about a week ago asking if they still had them for that price and haven't heard back from them. Need to give them a call.
One of the kegs I got from Brewer's Discount had clearly been dropped on it's top, with a cracked leaky lid and a bent post. Customer service was less than ideal...I was told that the kegs were fine when shipped, and that I would have to send pictures of the damage before he'd replace the parts. I found it insulting, and absurd that I'm expected to photographically document a leak. I've had much better luck with kegs from Midwest supplies.

I've also bought four from this seller on eBay. They are the type with one rigid handle (instead of that nasty, decomposing black rubber) and the price is great. 2 kegs for $35, and shipping was another $10 or so.

(2) 5 GALLON CORNELIUS SODA KEGS

Old 08-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
kvh
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks. I figured it was a long shot but thought I'd give it a try. I've been looking at Brewers Discount and they did have two kegs for $38, but I don't see that anymore. Looks like they're $25 each now.
Wow, his prices have been going up. I got all of mine from there for $16 each plus shipping.

Bummer.

kvh
Primary Fermentor -

Secondary - Mystery IPA
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Keg Conditioning -

Draft: - Apfelwein, Belgian-style Dubbel w/ Grains of Paradise
Bottles:(and still in stock): FIRST AG - (I)IPA 4.1.07, PK's Warm Spring Marzen, Summer Cerveza -BANG, PK's Winter Spice II, Espresso Stout, Indiana Pale Ale, PK's Chocolate Bitter II, Porterfield Porter, and New Year's 2006 remnants.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
One of the kegs I got from Brewer's Discount had clearly been dropped on it's top, with a cracked leaky lid and a bent post. Customer service was less than ideal...I was told that the kegs were fine when shipped, and that I would have to send pictures of the damage before he'd replace the parts. I found it insulting, and absurd that I'm expected to photographically document a leak. I've had much better luck with kegs from Midwest supplies.

I've also bought four from this seller on eBay. They are the type with one rigid handle (instead of that nasty, decomposing black rubber) and the price is great. 2 kegs for $35, and shipping was another $10 or so.

(2) 5 GALLON CORNELIUS SODA KEGS
Thanks for the tips. I'm a bit farther away from Oregon. Shipping to me is $25 for the two kegs. Still not a bad deal. I might have to consider that one.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 6

After much research I bought mine from Keg Connection for a reasonable price ($22 each + shipping). Todd sells both types too - single or double handle depending on what you like. Coloured ones too.

Kal

Old 09-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #9
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal
After much research I bought mine from Keg Connection for a reasonable price ($22 each + shipping). Todd sells both types too - single or double handle depending on what you like. Coloured ones too.
I bought my last 8 kegs from Todd at www.kegconnection.com too. He throws in new O-rings on every purchase. Todd is a great guy with great customer service. He comes highly recommended!

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 09-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It pays to keep your eyes open. My local bottler told me that they won't sell them to individuals because of the liability so we ended up buying a few online. Then one day at work I struck it lucky.

The Chinese restaurant at the other end of the building went out of business. The restaurant was trashed so the building owner hired a company to come in and gut it. One day I walk out our back door and see the worker about to toss a keg into the dumpster. I yell at him from the other end of the building to stop and run down there. I find they are about to toss the 7 kegs that were abandoned in the restaurant. I felt it my duty to rescued them. I suppose the local bottler would have wanted them back but since the kegs were about to meet their fate in a dumpster, I didn't feel too bad about taking them.

Quick Reply