The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Corn sugar or DME for bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
Fermentalist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Corn sugar or DME for bottling?

Im on my 7th batch of beer and I've been bottling every one. I've had some trouble with some off flavors after bottling on every batch. My beer tastes absolutely awesome after fermentation has ended, right when I go to bottle, so I know all my steps before bottling are spot on. I've also tweaked my brewing techniques just for the hell of it but still come out with the same final result. The flavor is hard to describe but ill give it a shot. It's an almost metallic taste I get right on the tongue but it doesn't linger. I almost want to attribute it to the flavor of over-carbination or CO2 (if thats even a flavor). The thing is, my beer hasn't been over-carbinated, its not "champangy" or even soda like in carbonation.

I first thought it was just that I had green beer, but I've let my last batch of altbeir age for 3 months and though the flavor is more subtle but still present.

I think I've finally had my epiphany but I wanted to bounce my idea off of all you great beer geeks. When bottling ive always used corn sugar. I have the feeling it's the culprit. Could using corn sugar over some good ol' DME cause some funny flavors in my beer? How much could I benefit from switching to DME? I'll just give it a shot on my next batch but I wanted to know if any of you have run into similar problems.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
ehedge20
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have always used corn sugar without any problems. Where is your corn sugar from?

Old 02-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 542 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Highly doubt it's the corn sugar. Describe some of your process & recipes. Chlorine/chloramine in the water? Old LME? Are you drinking straight from the bottle (if so, may be rust from the bottle caps).

Old 02-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I doubt it too, the point of using most sugars, table and corn especially, is that they ferment out completely, leaving no flavors behind. You'd be more apt getting a flavor remaining from using dme since it's not 100 percent fermentable, especially the darker extracts.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Fermentalist
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I get my corn sugar from my local beer store.

I'm not drinking straight from the bottle and I've tried using different types of water (tap, purified, distilled). Like is said the flavor isn't present until after ive bottled. Ive tried sanitizing bottles in the dishwasher on the "sanitize" cycle with no soap, and I've used bottle rinsers with sanitizer. All I do is rack to my sanitized bottling bucket fill with my sanitized wand after boiling a couple cups water for 15 mins with corn sugar (of course cool, add to beer, and stir gently with sanitized spoon), cap with sanitized caps, and boom! I get a funky flavor.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
TyTanium
Recipes 

Yeah, your bottling process sounds fine. My bet is something in your brewing process - you mentioned it tastes fine pre-bottling, but sometimes green beer can mask other off flavors.

Sounds like you've ruled out water being the culprit. How about fermentation temps? Or ingredients? Old LME doesn't taste too good.

One of my first ever batches was a store kit with LME, who knows how long it had been on the shelf. And I fermented around mid-70's probably because I didn't know any better; tasted great when I took all my samples and pre-bottling, but it was really undrinkable once carbed & conditioned. Googled: How to cook with beer

Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
TokyoRoad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Googled: How to cook with beer
If you won't drink with it, then why would you add that bad flavor to your food? And if it doesn't add any flavor, why add it in the first place?

Old 02-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
TyTanium
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoRoad View Post
If you won't drink with it, then why would you add that bad flavor to your food? And if it doesn't add any flavor, why add it in the first place?
...uh, because it tastes awesome. I didn't say it doesn't add any flavor. It adds a ton of flavor, most notably "beer" flavor. The off-flavors are subtle and make it unpleasant to drink, but it still tastes mostly like beer. When added to food, the food masks the subtle off-flavors and just adds a "beerish" taste, which I happen to love.

Try it and you won't be confused. Never cooked with BMC before, huh?

Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

flemish beef stew. brown some cubes of beef in hot oil, add carrots onions thyme and bay leaf, fry off a bit, spoonful of flour, cook a minute, bottle of not great dark beer and a couple spoons of cider vinegar to taste, salt and pepper. cover and cook 2 hours on low

Old 02-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
TokyoRoad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
...uh, because it tastes awesome. I didn't say it doesn't add any flavor. It adds a ton of flavor, most notably "beer" flavor. The off-flavors are subtle and make it unpleasant to drink, but it still tastes mostly like beer. When added to food, the food masks the subtle off-flavors and just adds a "beerish" taste, which I happen to love.

Try it and you won't be confused. Never cooked with BMC before, huh?
Quote:
when I took all my samples and pre-bottling, but it was really undrinkable
I cook often with beer, wine, and liquor, cooking with BMC seems a waste as you might as well just add water. The point of cooking with any of the above liquids is to add desirable flavors not, as you put it, undrinkable flavors.
Remind me to never eat your cooking.

Quick Reply