Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Coor's Disposable Keg = Party Pig?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #231
homebrewhacker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoov View Post
Here is a photo to help out a little. The cartridge seal at the top of the photo fits very snug on the original cartridge (on the right). The neck of the original measures 23/64 and the non threaded cartridge from Genuine Innovations (on the left) measures 21/64. The cartridge seal is very loose on the Genuine Innovations cartridge.

My caliper is still set from when I measured the original cartridge.

Hope this helps.
I recently discovered this problem as well. I tried wrapping the GI cartridge with tape to increase the neck width and was able to get a good enough seal to repressurize the bottle to a point and then it started to slowly leak. This was better than the standard CO2 spray that occurs when popping these cartridges in. I see you've created a killer kegerator setup using the original cartridge, but before you moved on to that, did you find a solution to using the GI cartridges in these bottles so that they never leaked CO2?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 02:14 AM   #232
Dahoov
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewhacker View Post
I recently discovered this problem as well. I tried wrapping the GI cartridge with tape to increase the neck width and was able to get a good enough seal to repressurize the bottle to a point and then it started to slowly leak. This was better than the standard CO2 spray that occurs when popping these cartridges in. I see you've created a killer kegerator setup using the original cartridge, but before you moved on to that, did you find a solution to using the GI cartridges in these bottles so that they never leaked CO2?
I never really had any issues, but I only used a couple of them before my modifications. I have heard of others using o rings around the neck. I also use the keg lube I have for my cornies. I think it helps keep the rubber in good shape.

My "Home Draft" Mini Kegerator

Fly safe, soar high, go far...\__________O__________/

Old 06-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #233
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoov View Post
I never really had any issues, but I only used a couple of them before my modifications. I have heard of others using o rings around the neck. I also use the keg lube I have for my cornies. I think it helps keep the rubber in good shape.
Me too. I think this is good practice. I smear a small dab of keg lube on the top and sides of the cartridge tip. Then carefully press it into the cartridge holder. Making sure its fully seated before I screw on the cartridge.

And of course, this has to be laying its side as it would sit in the fridge, the keg is also ice cold.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #234
drocu
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just to add to this discussion, I've successfully used one of these for home brew. I bottled a Belgian Blonde ale in one of these with priming sugar to carbonate. After a couple of weeks in the bottle, it carbed up nicely but I only got a few out of it before it stopped dispensing.

Since I could only find 12g CO2 cartridges at the LHBS, I wrapped some paper towel around the cartridge and stuffed some more into the bottom. It took some trial and error and I had to waste one cartridge, but the second one worked fine and kept the keg pressurized until it was kicked.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:10 AM   #235
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am on my 3rd batch using these kegs. So far, so good.

Only had one problem to date. Press the gas cartridge all the way in to the holder before you screw it in, otherwise you can knock the pin out of the plastic seat.

Got english ipa in them now, gonna put an alt or dunkelweizen in them next.

Right now, I have 6 of these. My kegerator is several hundred miles in isolation

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 08-16-2011, 01:41 AM   #236
motleybrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i just bought one of these. interested to see how it does. i have used them in the past (prior to starting brewing), and always wondered if i could reuse them.

Heres my question. I have no clue about kegging yet. the only thing i have done to date is bottle (i have a keg setup on my christmas list). I would like to force carb, but don't know the proper protocol with a real keg, let alone one of these.

do i just screw the co2 cart on, and let it go for a few days, and then do another? from what i've read in this thread that seems to be the case, but i am not sure what else needs to happen.

much appreciated.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #237
ThreeRatBastards
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

I posted some how-to videos a while ago. Lots of info in that thread as well.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/my-e...-video-190731/

Old 08-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #238
motleybrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeRatBastards
I posted some how-to videos a while ago. Lots of info in that thread as well.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/my-e...-video-190731/
Thanks man. Nice tutorials. Going to fill one up tonight and see how it works out

Quick Reply