Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Coopers carbonation drops pic review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 03:33 AM   #1
Pivzavod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Coopers carbonation drops pic review

I am almost done drinking my first batch of Coopers European Lager. I made newbie mistakes with the temp and most of my green batch had off flavors. I learned from my mistakes and have temperature control under control (for ales for now, next lager will be attempted when snow falls). Some of my 1st batch bottles came up kind of green while a few were perfect. There was one bottle that I had the other day that was just perfect. I guess it was what you would call a session beer, it was so crisp and smooth, like you can drink 3 of them in a row and ask for more. Anyways, despite all my mistakes with the 1st batch I want to make a comment about Coopers carbonation drops. They are really really good!!! I mean the carbonation that I have in some of my beers is amazing. I like carbonated stuff and this stuff gives it a kick. Here is a pic of one of the last remaining bottles. As you can see carbonation level is pretty pretty good. I hope I will have the same results with switching to priming sugar which is much cheaper then Coopers miracle workers. I think Revvy might agree with me that between these drops and yeasties there are not that many miracle workers. Let them do their thing and they got it going on

Primary: 04/29 Pomegranate Nectarine Apfelwein, 05/23 Petite Saison
Secondary:
Kegs drinking: AHS Midnight Wheaten Stout 03/18 - 04/14 - 04/28,
Kegs conditioning: 01/29 - 04/29 Cranberry Apfelwein, 04/29-05/23 Petite Saison
RIP: 11/07-11/28-01/29-05/04-11/17 Flanders Brown Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Both the Cooper's carbonation drops and the Munton's carb tabs work quite well.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 11-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
DD2000GT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How many oz's where the bottles? I use 16 oz flip top Grolsh bottles and I am having a tough time guesstimating the right combination of drops to use. Since the Coopers are pretty big and designed for 12 oz bottles, and you really can't cut them, I also got some Muntons tabs which are smaller (use 4 per 12 oz) and I am using one Coopers and one Muntons. So far, it is still under carbonated.

I like the idea since I keg and just bottle about six to determine when the keg is ready to put in the 'fridge, I just wish I could find the magic combination for those Grolsh bottles.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
Gosassin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD2000GT View Post
How many oz's where the bottles? I use 16 oz flip top Grolsh bottles and I am having a tough time guesstimating the right combination of drops to use. Since the Coopers are pretty big and designed for 12 oz bottles, and you really can't cut them, I also got some Muntons tabs which are smaller (use 4 per 12 oz) and I am using one Coopers and one Muntons. So far, it is still under carbonated.

I like the idea since I keg and just bottle about six to determine when the keg is ready to put in the 'fridge, I just wish I could find the magic combination for those Grolsh bottles.

It seems like it would be simpler to mix up the appropriate amount of priming sugar solution for your batch size, put it in your bottling bucket and rack on top of that, then bottle. Then the ratio of sugar solution to beer will be correct regardless of what size bottle you use.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosassin View Post
It seems like it would be simpler to mix up the appropriate amount of priming sugar solution for your batch size, put it in your bottling bucket and rack on top of that, then bottle. Then the ratio of sugar solution to beer will be correct regardless of what size bottle you use.
True, but they serve a purpose as well....Some people keg, but bottle a few for various reasons, including contest entries...and rather that calculating the amount of sugar water needed for 4 or 6, 12 ounce bottles the tabs are a perfect solution...

And some people find it easier just to drop the tabs in...It like so much in the hobby is a matter of choice.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
Pivzavod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This is from a 740 ml PET bottle that came with my Coopers brewery and I put 2 carbonation drops since its 25 oz (2x12). I guess I should pickup some Muntons as they are cheaper and smaller in size. I plan to use some 1 liter seltzer bottles in the future so for that I'll put 2 Coopers + 1 Muntons.

Primary: 04/29 Pomegranate Nectarine Apfelwein, 05/23 Petite Saison
Secondary:
Kegs drinking: AHS Midnight Wheaten Stout 03/18 - 04/14 - 04/28,
Kegs conditioning: 01/29 - 04/29 Cranberry Apfelwein, 04/29-05/23 Petite Saison
RIP: 11/07-11/28-01/29-05/04-11/17 Flanders Brown Ale

Old 11-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
431brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Generally speaking, would you say that they carb the beer in about three days as they advertise?

My beer has aged and is ready to drink, except I can't get it to carb. I am about to order the drops or tabs so I can start drinking the beer that I have been complaining about in my other thread.

Chris/ 431brew

Drinking:
1. American Premium Lager (on tap)
2. Porter

Keg Conditioning:
Blonde (AHB)

Fermenter #1:
none

Fermenter #2:
none

Old 11-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 431brew View Post
Generally speaking, would you say that they carb the beer in about three days as they advertise?
Yeah they do basically. But after three days, a week or two in the fridge does wonders.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #9
brewNdrink
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
True, but they serve a purpose as well....Some people keg, but bottle a few for various reasons, including contest entries...and rather that calculating the amount of sugar water needed for 4 or 6, 12 ounce bottles the tabs are a perfect solution...

And some people find it easier just to drop the tabs in...It like so much in the hobby is a matter of choice.
I use 1 flat teaspoon of corn sugar per 500ml flip-top Grolsh bottle for plisners/lagers and it is well carbed. Use a bit less for ales/stouts. Since I only need 6 bottles per batch (the rest is tap-a-draft) this works well and is alot cheaper than the carb drops.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:41 AM   #10
goodbyebluesky82
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Frink View Post
Both the Cooper's carbonation drops and the Munton's carb tabs work quite well.
- on Munton's. Like many others, I have had white floaties in my beer from using Munton's carbtabs. It wouldnt be so bad it they would settle but they float right at the top and end up in my glass.

Quick Reply