The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Converting an apartment / dorm-sized 2-door fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Ridebreck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Converting an apartment / dorm-sized 2-door fridge

I've spent about 30 minutes searching for various key words, but to no avail, so I figured I would ask. I found a great deal on a larger Magic Chef dorm fridge. In the add, it basically looks like a Sanyo 4912 with a separate freezer compartment above with it's own door.

My preference would be to turn this into a 2-tap kegerator, but I could always use it as a fermentation cabinet if need be. What I'm trying to find out is if anyone has done a kegerator conversion on a similar-style fridge and how they dealt with the freezer compartment. Since this is mini-me version of a full-size over/under fridge, I would like to mount the shanks in the freezer door, but obviously I don't want my lines freezing.

I'll post some pics when I pick it up and get it home, but here's where I'm at thought-wise right now:

• Solution #1: Disable Freezer Compartment. Upside is that I can likely re-enable the freezer later if I want it back. Downside is (1) potential for lines to warm up and (2) potential damage to overall operation.
  • Solution #2: Cut Opening in Divider Between Fridge and Freezer Compartments. This is assuming that there are no coolant lines in the divider. Upside is (1) greater ease of routing lines to taps, (2) more consistent beer line temp. Downside is permanent damage to the fridge.
I've seen side-by-side coversions where people have cut out portions of the divider between compartments, which is where I got the idea. The catch for me in this case is that I don't know how to check to see if there are lines in the divider.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Ridebreck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Update...I managed to find out the model number. It is a Magic Chef MCBR415S. [URL="http://appliances.pricegrabber.com/refrigerators/Magic-Chef-MCBR415S-Cu-Ft-Refrigerator/m54929434.html[/URL]

I guess the bottom line is that I need to figure out whether there are lines in the divider. If not, then I think I'm just going to fire up the saw and cut an opening to make it one large chamber.

Last edited by Ridebreck; 07-29-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
kevin123
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Did you find out if there are lines in the divider? I have the exact model and am trying to figure out how to use it...

Old 06-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
Ridebreck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I did not. The seller ended up getting rid of the fridge before I was able to check it out, so I ended up buying a different one.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Pad1089
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey Kevin did you ever go ahead with your conversion? I'm looking into this model as a possible option.

Quick Reply