Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Is this a Converted Pin-Lock?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Is this a Converted Pin-Lock?

I bought a lot of homebrew stuff off someone on Craigslist (most of it pretty old) and received this keg. I've only worked with ball lock pepsi kegs, so I'm assuming this is a pin lock that's been converted?

I mean, I think it definitely was a pinlock...Coca-Cola sticker, no pressure relief pull valve, shorter and fatter than my ball locks. But these are ball lock fittings, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
BigJim_inFLA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

That's a converted pin lock. I have 4 of them and they work fine as long as you don't mind them being fatter. Some have trouble fitting as many of them in their keezer.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
OntarioBeerKegs
www.OntarioBeerKegs.com
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It still is a pinlock.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
NWMOBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danaldor
It still is a pinlock.
I agree. Looks like it has pins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegtoe View Post
my recomendation: Have an understanding SWMBO

Old 10-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
BrewThruYou
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danaldor View Post
It still is a pinlock.
Makes sense. Thanks. I might try to trade or sell it towards a ball lock.

I got some older homebrew stuff from this guy - some really old Cornelius co2 regulator, the pin lock and a wort chiller that I have no idea how it works - looks like a counterflow or something since it has 4 ports...but it's encased in a pretty big PVC pipe.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1387 Times on 1119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou View Post
Makes sense. Thanks. I might try to trade or sell it towards a ball lock.

I got some older homebrew stuff from this guy - some really old Cornelius co2 regulator, the pin lock and a wort chiller that I have no idea how it works - looks like a counterflow or something since it has 4 ports...but it's encased in a pretty big PVC pipe.
It is a counterflow chiller. Hopefully the ports aren't identical so you can figure out which are the jacket and which are the coil, but if they are identical you can run some hot water through one and if the PVC gets warm quickly you'll know which ones are for the jacket.

The pin locks can be converted easily enough if you have access to posts and poppets at a reasonable price (under $15 per keg would be my threshold for "reasonable"). Otherwise trade 'em or sell 'em outright...

Cheers!

Old 10-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
BrewThruYou
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
It is a counterflow chiller. Hopefully the ports aren't identical so you can figure out which are the jacket and which are the coil, but if they are identical you can run some hot water through one and if the PVC gets warm quickly you'll know which ones are for the jacket.

The pin locks can be converted easily enough if you have access to posts and poppets at a reasonable price (under $15 per keg would be my threshold for "reasonable"). Otherwise trade 'em or sell 'em outright...

Cheers!
Thanks for the info. Yes, I can tell the ports apart...two are barbed copper or brass (wort in wort out) and the other two are plastic garden hose (water in water out). However, I'm pretty happy with my 50' IC, so I guess I'll try to trade/sell/give this away.

Edit: Just did some research and it's actually called a Hybrid Chiller: http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixC.html

Old 10-18-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
scsnick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Cornykeg.com, kegcowboy.com amd other places have conversion kits cheap. Its easy to do,and you would be better off converting it than trying to sell it and get a ball lock.

Quick Reply