Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > conversion from pin lock to ball lock?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2007, 12:21 AM   #1
blue27343
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default conversion from pin lock to ball lock?

i found some cheap pin lock cornelius kegs but was wondering if there is a way to replace the fittings with ball lock fittings... ball locks seem easier as i wouldnt have to cut apart a socket with a grinder or buy one for $25 and also my local HB supply store carries ball lock equipment....any help would be great.
thanks....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

The simple answer that is too short: No. The holes & threads for the plugs are not the same. Plus plugs are expensive.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-31-2007, 02:16 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1012 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The pinlocks are no longer cheap if you have to spend money and jump through hoops to convert. You can usually loosen the connectors with a 13/16" open ended wrench although some are a little harder to loosen and you'll have to make the socket.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-01-2007, 12:25 AM   #4
LIONS_FAN2539
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i have what where pin locks that have been converted to ball locks. work great no problems. they were already converted when i bought them.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:29 AM   #5
uuurang
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

At this link theres some talk about how to make a spark plug socket wrench with the help of a dremel tool to make a pin lock tool. I think this is cheaper than converting your pin kegs to ball kegs, $5 for the spark plug wrench, either 13/16 or 7/8 depending on what you got on your keg, a dremel tool(come on, who here doesn't already have one!) with common cutting disk and a workbench vise to hold still while cutting the socket. I have to say that the workbench vise comes in handy for a multitude of projects.
Just mark the socket were it contacts the pin lock posts with permanent marker and cut away until the socket seats deep on the posts. Fun project!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13779

This post goes into greater depth on the variation of socket sizes that are out there...
http://hbd.org/brewsandviews/message...tml?1076129112

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Quick Reply