*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Consensus on what next after bottles??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Consensus on what next after bottles??

Is there any kind of consensus on what is the next step after 48 bottles of brew?

Party Pig? TAP-A-DRAFT? I'm looking for something that is portable.

I have read that

Party Pig has problems with the Pressure Pouch and TAP-A-DRAFT has CO2 problems??

Anyone with GOOD results??

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3156 Times on 3063 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Corny kegs are the next step to consider with some sort of draft system.

From what I read, Party-Pig and Tap A Draft are options but everyone(?) who does them seems to go to a full draft system eventually.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
HighPlainsDrifter

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Two liter bottles, growlers, or really step it up and start kegging. The growlers are not really made to hold pressure so be careful with those, but the two liter bottles are and work great in a pinch. The only draw back is once you open them, you have to drink the contents within a couple hours or it will go flat. There is a special cap that is made that you can pressurize with after opening that will extend shelf life a little (maybe a day or two).

It took me both hands just to squeeze it

Old 09-30-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I debated getting the portable draft systems (Party Pig and TAP-A-DRAFT) when I decided to move beyond bottling- but I soon realized that they would be an intermediate step between bottling and kegging. If you want portability, a 5 gallon cornie pushed with portable keg chargers are great for parties- but expect to use one disposable CO2 cartridge/gallon in serving. It's easy to modify a 20oz paintball tank to carb/serve.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I vote for paying your penance! Get 20,000 bottle caps. When you've used them up, you'll have earned the right to keg....or just consider yourself privileged and get the damn keg setup anyway.
I think that this is an issue (Fought with it for a long time myself) that need not be worked through in steps. Bottles work great, and don't ever expect to get away from them. They are your friend. BUT...If you are certain that you want more...you'll eventually end up with kegs and taps and a spare refrigerator anyway, so why shell out the money on the stuff leading up to it? Just get the kegs to start with.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My problem is that I want to make sure I have GOOD beer I can repeat. Plus even though my wife who is all for beer making (even though she is not a beer drinker) has backed me I don't want to shell out big bucks ($200) on 5g batches.

However - I do look at the future as I have a local person watching my progress as an investor and he has mentioned SEVERAL times about starting a brewery / brew pub and backing me financially.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

22-24 bottles of brew works nicely. Collect USA "Champagne" / sparking wine bottles and /or Martinelli's Sparkling cider bottles. 750ml = Less bottles to fill, good anytime you are sharing a beer with others, no pouch or canister fuss.

Or 7-10 bottles - 2 or 3 liter plastic soda bottles. Won't break at the beach.

Or a mix of all the above. Trick being to have a size or size mixture that suits the amount you are drinking - ie, if having a liter and a half, 2 750mL sparkling wine bottles are better than a 2 or 3 liter soda bottle.

Obviously, store any clear/green bottles in the dark. I just store all bottles in the dark.

Get a bench capper if you don't have one.

Re-filling the pipeline - got a lot of brewing to do.

Last edited by Ecnerwal; 09-30-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: dark.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
My problem is that I want to make sure I have GOOD beer I can repeat. Plus even though my wife who is all for beer making (even though she is not a beer drinker) has backed me I don't want to shell out big bucks ($200) on 5g batches.
Then it's process and not packaging that you should be focusing on your attention on. Consistent, repeatable results come from dialing in on your equipment and taking good notes to identify future problems, etc. If there is a downside to kegging, it's that the temptation to consume green beer is high because you can force carb in three days. Bottle conditioning helps any harsh notes mellow/flavors mellow as well as carbonating. When I keg, I 'set and forget' @ around 12 psi and let them come to equilibrium-- so those beers might sit for a month before I tap and serve.

Last edited by flyangler18; 09-30-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #9
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
However - I do look at the future as I have a local person watching my progress as an investor and he has mentioned SEVERAL times about starting a brewery / brew pub and backing me financially.
The way to ruin a good hobby is to try and make money at it. Suddenly it becomes a job, and "making good beer" is fighting with "fast turnaround" and "less cost" and other detractions. Tread carefully.

Re-filling the pipeline - got a lot of brewing to do.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecnerwal View Post
The way to ruin a good hobby is to try and make money at it. Suddenly it becomes a job, and "making good beer" is fighting with "fast turnaround" and "less cost" and other detractions. Tread carefully.
AND...
I would not fee comfortable trying to brew commercially knowing full well that brewers with decades more experience and LOADS more technical knowledge...right down to chemical compositions of different hop oils, and tons of formal training, have tried and failed to produce a beer that succeeds in the open market. How many years do you have to apprentice at a brewery before they will let you even touch a hop leaf? And there you are exposed to 10's of thousands of gallons of beer, and you brew nearly every day. Just because you make a beer that you and your friends seem to like ok, doesn't mean that you can make a beer that will compete with the Big Dogs on the Premium Micro Brew shelf....not to say you can't...but it takes as much luck as skill, and those that have been there will usually advise against it...or at least give stern words of caution.

Quick Reply