Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Conical to Keg Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #21
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beere View Post
...I set the pressure to about 4~5 psi...
i just got a fermenator and am about to rack my first batch under pressure. i filter as well and am really hoping i can just filter straight from the fermentator.

i typically use a plate filter at ~5-7 psi, but blichmann claims it should only be pressurized to 3 psi. i noticed you said you use 4-5psi. does anyone know what at pressure the relief valve actually starts to bleed off?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #22
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

LOL have you seen John's "brew room" lets just say he has a bar bigger than a lot of real bars and has a 10 tap beer tower

So does that pressure relief valve just make it so you don't have to manually open the pressure valve yourself while the keg is filling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
What do you guys do with all that beer? I'm going to assume it's all kegged. I don't like the idea of using up 3 kegs for 1 type of beer. You must have alot of friends that help you consume it or somthing.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #23
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yes but there is also one on the lid hatch of the conical to prevent overpressurizing the conical which is what in talking about

Old 12-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #24
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2696 View Post
i just got a fermenator and am about to rack my first batch under pressure. i filter as well and am really hoping i can just filter straight from the fermentator.

i typically use a plate filter at ~5-7 psi, but blichmann claims it should only be pressurized to 3 psi. i noticed you said you use 4-5psi. does anyone know what at pressure the relief valve actually starts to bleed off?
In case anyone else is interested in doing something similar, this DID work for me using a plate filter with 7um pads. It took about an hour, but I went slowly intentionally because I wanted to make sure I could do the whole batch on one set of pads. It could probably go faster, but I just set it up and checked on it every 10-15 mins or so once I had a feel for the transfer rate. I turned the regulator up until the gas just started flowing, then set the pressure relief on the kegs so I could see the beer moving.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #25
SirBC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beere View Post
Here is the pressure relief valve on the "in" port of the keg - it is basically set to 0~2 psi.
Just wondering, what is the benefit of having the pressure relief valve vs. just connecting a gas connect with the port open?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #26
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Probably not much.. But I do like to hear it 'whistle' as it fills and I know it's hit the short gas in dip tub as soon as it stops whistling and starts sputtering beer.

I also do this to transfer commercially kegged been into corneys but set it to around 15 psi at the sankey end and around the same, but just barely less on the corney end so everything stays under pressure..

Quick Reply