Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Conditioning: warm vs cold

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
Steiner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Conditioning: warm vs cold

I have limited refrigerator space so I have a hard time cold conditioning enough of my beers as I'd like. My mini fridge can hold about 50 beers. My concern is the difference conditioning the beers at room temp (here, that's usually 75 high and 50 low) vs conditioning them in the fridge. I haven't had enough experience to notice the difference myself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2007, 02:10 AM   #2
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner
My concern is the difference conditioning the beers at room temp (here, that's usually 75 high and 50 low) vs conditioning them in the fridge.
50 - 75 is a rather large swing and the beer won't like that. Good conditioning temperatures are generally between the low 40s and upper 50s with minimal swing. Try to get as many into the fridge as you can and try to find a place with a more stable temperature for the others.

Kai

Old 11-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

At the very least, insulate the rest of the beer to minimize the temperature swings. Build a box out of rigid foam, buy a bunch of blankets or sleeping bags; protect the beer.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
Steiner
Recipes 

Ok thanks. I doubt the temperature really swings that much. That's the outside temperature according to weather.com and my beer is pretty well protected and insulated in my room. I'll try and minimize the temperature changes using those tips. It's just that I don't have much space in the fridge. How long would you recommend as a general rule for cold conditioning the beer after several weeks of warm conditioning?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 253 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Ok thanks. I doubt the temperature really swings that much. That's the outside temperature according to weather.com and my beer is pretty well protected and insulated in my room. I'll try and minimize the temperature changes using those tips. It's just that I don't have much space in the fridge. How long would you recommend as a general rule for cold conditioning the beer after several weeks of warm conditioning?
At least 72 hours is a good rule of thumb, but a week is better. I highly recommend you pick up a copy of Palmer's Lear to Brew. Here is a link from the first edition, which is available completely free online:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter8-3.html

Generally longer is better when it comes to conditioning. I firmly believe that my love of beer was given to me to teach me patience. Beer requires patience in everything, and I'm not a very patient person. Oh the crosses we bear......

Last edited by Setesh; 06-14-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: betterized it

Quick Reply