The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Conditioning and signs of carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #31
Malticulous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Green beer is unconditioned; fully fermenteded and not fully carbonated. I got that from a text book if I recall correctly. /necrobump.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #32
SKYY
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

When I bottle, I always fill at least one clear 16-oz PET bottle for every batch I make, to gauge the carbonation. Once you screw the cap on a plastic bottle, squeeze it to know what it feels like unpressurized. After a few days, the yeast will start to make CO2 and EtOH, and the pressure of the bottle can be easily felt. Additionally, the clear nature of the plastic makes it easy to spot the building amount of sediment at the bottom.

After a few weeks, the plastic bottle should feel pretty darned stiff, and there will be a half-cm of whiteish sediment at the bottom. At a minimum, your beer is now safe to drink.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #33
travis87
Recipes 

Linked here from the newb forum...

Anyways, I'm doing my first ever brew, a 1 gallon Everday IPA from Brooklyn Brewshop. Per their instructions, I only need 2 weeks in the fermenter and 2 weeks for carbonation. However, everything I've read here calls for at least 3 weeks in bottles for full carbonation. I brewed on 2/20 in hopes of having this batch ready for 3/17, but I know that's really pushing my luck. I've got a ridiculous athletic event that weekend and my cousin's coming to town, so I really wanted it ready, but I'd rather have good beer!

What's everyone's opinion on my situation?

Old 02-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #34
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis87 View Post
so I really wanted it ready, but I'd rather have good beer!

What's everyone's opinion on my situation?
I want twin redhead lasses with Irish accents to appear at my door in nothing but raincoats, stockings and garters, but if it's not meant to happen then it won't.

We all want our beers to be carbed when we want them too, but unfrotunately usually the yeast have their own timeframes. We don't say "three weeks @ 70" to yank new brewer's chains, to prevent them from not getting what they want....We say it because, that's usually the minimum time it takes.

We're not in control of most of this process. The yeast are.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

voidyourwarranty Likes This 

Quick Reply