Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Conditioning and signs of carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 01:39 AM   #1
GregBrews88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Conditioning and signs of carbonation

My first batch has been conditioning in bottles for a week now, should there be any visible signs of carbonation or should it still appear flat because it is sealed in the bottle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Look for bubbles. If it has been a number of weeks you should have some carbonization by now. Why not open one and check it out.

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Old 04-27-2009, 02:08 AM   #3
Beerbeque
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

There are no visible signs of carbonation that I've ever seen. At 1 week it's likely you have a fair amount of carbonation already. I usually try my first 12 oz bottle at 1 week, then another at 12 days or so. Carbonation seems to peak at 3 weeks but it's still good before that too.

Give us this day our liquid bread

Old 04-27-2009, 02:09 AM   #4
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Give it two more weeks. Patience is the one b!tch of homebrewing... that and clean-up. You won't see anything real obvious when they're carbonated. Maybe some yeast will start to settle on the bottom, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's carbed.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 04-27-2009, 02:39 AM   #5
Mad_Milo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

For many styles, you can check the clarity of the beer by holding the bottle up to a light. Usually you'll see the neck clear first, and then the rest as the yeast settle during the final carbonation/fermentation. If the first bottle you try isn't carbonated, rouse the yeast in each bottle and let them sit for another 5-7 days.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
jkpq45
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've never had a batch bottle condition properly before 3 weeks. Even then it still might taste green, so give it another week or two at least.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:26 AM   #7
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Sometimes I can see the beer clear as the yeast slowly goes to the bottom. The beer is carbed before it clears. Most of mine carb in under a week.

Green is a vague term and most of what it refers to should be gone before bottling anyway. It's so vague it's like saying you don't know why it tastes that way and simply blaming the age of the beer. I'm looking at a guide to off flavors I just can't find green. Green apple maybe? (sour/acidic)

Last edited by Malticulous; 04-29-2009 at 02:37 AM.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:15 AM   #8
hoppheadIPA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What the hell is the point of that color/odor wheel thing? I may just be dumb, but what the hell is the point of that?????

Old 05-19-2009, 01:55 AM   #9
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

The Beer Flavor Wheel was developed in the 1970s by Morten Meilgaard. It was subsequently jointly adopted as the flavor analysis standard by the European Brewery Convention, the American Society of Brewing Chemists, and the Master Brewers Association of the Americas.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ei=vBUSSvOCLaXosgPOjIjdDQ&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=beer+flavor+wheel&spell=1

Last edited by Malticulous; 05-19-2009 at 02:13 AM.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:59 AM   #10
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroe View Post
Sometimes I can see the beer clear as the yeast slowly goes to the bottom. The beer is carbed before it clears. Most of mine carb in under a week.

Green is a vague term and most of what it refers to should be gone before bottling anyway. It's so vague it's like saying you don't know why it tastes that way and simply blaming the age of the beer. I'm looking at a guide to off flavors I just can't find green. Green apple maybe? (sour/acidic)
You know, the owner's manual for my car doesn't say anything about your arm getting wet while you drive anywhere in the troubleshooting section. But experience has taught me to roll up my fukin window when it is raining!

To the OP, listen to the experience here and let your beer condition in the bottle for a minimum of three weeks before expecting great things. Will it have any carbonation at 1 week? Probably. Will it be at its peak? NO. Be patient and you will be rewarded with a better product.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis
PapaBearJay Likes This 

Quick Reply