Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Conditioning, and Kegging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
moorerm04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Conditioning, and Kegging?

I am new to kegging with only one batch under my belt in the keg. I have always done the 3 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in the bottle method, but what Is the best method for conditioning keg beer. I will still do a 3-4 week primary, but is the beer g2g once it carbs up in a weeks time after that? What do you guys do to get the bet quality kegged beer that isn't green?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
ValleyBrew
Recipes 

If you so the set it and forget it method it will take around a week to get drinkable (to me...) and then I usually give it another week before I really think it's good, but that does depend on the beer. If it's a big beer, I may want to give it a month before it peaks... To me, aging is aging whether it's in the bottle or in the keg...

Old 02-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pretty much the same thing unless you want to force carb at a high pressure and get it faster. I add 2-3 oz sugar, purge o2, and briefly charge to seal the seat, and then wait 2 weeks before chilling it and plugging the gas back in. So it is basically the same as bottling.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorerm04 View Post
I am new to kegging with only one batch under my belt in the keg. I have always done the 3 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in the bottle method, but what Is the best method for conditioning keg beer. I will still do a 3-4 week primary, but is the beer g2g once it carbs up in a weeks time after that? What do you guys do to get the bet quality kegged beer that isn't green?
It depends on the type of beer. Some beers are best consumed fresh (IPAs), while others need more time to condition (stouts, Belgians).

I generally ferment IPAs for 2 weeks, then keg condition them for 2 weeks, then pop them into the keezer for carbing and drinking.

With stouts or other big beers you can transfer it to the keg after primary fermentation is complete then let it condition in the keg for a few weeks/months.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
dmfa200
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I condition for a week after fermentation is complete, then I crash cool.

After I've reached a temperature just above freezing I let it set for a few days to get most of the yeast to drop out, I will then transfer to a keg for carbing.

You should blanket your beer with c02 when racking to keg to lesson the chance of oxidation.

It takes me about three weeks total.

You will be very pleased with kegging. It reduces a lot of time and work waiting to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I don't know what you said, but your wrong.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks guys..... I did a Hefe that turned out ok at best and kegged it after three weeks in primary and it still taste green after Bering in the keg for 2 weeks

Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 AM   #7
ApolloSpeed
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

what yeast did ya use?

Quick Reply