Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Conditioning Kegged Beer @ Room Temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
timmah84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Conditioning Kegged Beer @ Room Temp

I am conditioning a keg of beer (a Raspberry Fruit beer) at room temperature (around 68-70F, depending on the day.)

I've always used CO2 to carb my kegs. This is the first time I used priming sugar. I used the same amount I would have for bottling 5 gallons of beer. Am I risking the beer to be overcarb'ed?

If so, how can I mitigate it? Release the pressure every so often?

I was thinking about tapping it and serving it at 9 psi for a pint to see how foamy it is. It has been about 2 weeks in the keg. The wedding is 9/21. I would hate to present a foamy beer to the groom .

Kegged: None

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmah84 View Post
I am conditioning a keg of beer (a Raspberry Fruit beer) at room temperature (around 68-70F, depending on the day.)

I've always used CO2 to carb my kegs. This is the first time I used priming sugar. I used the same amount I would have for bottling 5 gallons of beer. Am I risking the beer to be overcarb'ed?

If so, how can I mitigate it? Release the pressure every so often?

I was thinking about tapping it and serving it at 9 psi for a pint to see how foamy it is. It has been about 2 weeks in the keg. The wedding is 9/21. I would hate to present a foamy beer to the groom .
This is what I do and have been experimenting with the amount of corn sugar I add. The last batch i added 80% of what i would of at bottling and it was still a bit low. My most recent batch I did 90% so we will see how that comes out. After 3 weeks or so I put my keg into the fridge for 48-72 hours and then purge the head space and connect it to the co2.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I add about 75% of the bottling sugar and it seems about right. I don't think you will have too much issue with the corn sugar you added (are we talking 4 or 5 oz here?).

I would wait 1 more week at room temp. Drop the temp for 2-3 days and take a sample. You'll need to get some of the yeast out of the first pint or two anyway. Then you can purge/vent as needed if its overcarbed.

The 9/21 date sounds about perfect. Keep it fridged for those 2-3 weeks and it should be yummy. The only concern I'd have is disturbing the yeast on the bottom. Can you set it up on location a day or two in advance to let the yeast re-settle?

Primary #1: Hidden Lake Nut Brown #2: Apple Cider
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale, Orange Pale Ale IV
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: 2H IPA III

Old 08-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
timmah84
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
I add about 75% of the bottling sugar and it seems about right. I don't think you will have too much issue with the corn sugar you added (are we talking 4 or 5 oz here?).

I would wait 1 more week at room temp. Drop the temp for 2-3 days and take a sample. You'll need to get some of the yeast out of the first pint or two anyway. Then you can purge/vent as needed if its overcarbed.

The 9/21 date sounds about perfect. Keep it fridged for those 2-3 weeks and it should be yummy. The only concern I'd have is disturbing the yeast on the bottom. Can you set it up on location a day or two in advance to let the yeast re-settle?
I believe I used about 4.5 oz.

Can't set it up prior I'll be putting it on ice I assume, so I hope my 32-34 degree kegerator will be similar in temperature to a bucket pail of ice.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
timmah84
Recipes 

I also only have room for two kegs in my kegerator. Is it going to harm one of my tapped beers to sit out at room temp for a couple days while I chill the wedding keg?

Old 08-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 54

No, should be fine for a few days at least. I'm assuming you always purge the O2 out of the headspace prior to tapping. So just CO2 in there.

Primary #1: Hidden Lake Nut Brown #2: Apple Cider
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale, Orange Pale Ale IV
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: 2H IPA III

Old 08-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I use more like 60% of the amount of priming sugar when I naturally carb my kegs, and I've run into this figure time and time again on brewing sites. A corny keg with a full 5 gallons in it has a fraction of the headspace of 55-60 bottles of homebrew, so you have to account for the diminished headspace.

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - EMPTY!
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 08-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
onthedot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have always read when priming in kegs to halve the amount of priming sugar required for the batch.

However, in my personal experiences of priming about 15 batches of beer in kegs, that amount suggested is simply not enough. Now I do 75-90% of the required batch size amount.

Quick Reply