Conditioning in a keg that is not fully sealed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedSquash

Reaction score
I am conditioning a stout in a Pepsi corny keg, but I am also cold extracting coffee beans at the same time. In order to keep the bean accessible for their eventual removal, I had to place them in a grain sack, and wrap the edge of the sack around the lid of the keg before closing it. This is keeping the bean suspended, but it is also keeping the lid from being completely air tight. I purged what oxygen was in the keg, but I know the air won't stay pure CO2. Am I running the risk of oxidizing my beer? I did this yesterday, and plan on keeping it going for 2 to 2-1/2 weeks.

I would not leave the keg open for two weeks. You're asking for oxidation and an infection IMO. Would the coffee beans float on top any way.

I've heard that you can tie light test fishing line around the grain bag and then run it through the lid. The seals will still work then. Also heard about tying the bag to the liquid dip tube with zip-ties. IMO, you need a seal on the keg if you are conditioning beer in it.

I hadn't even thought about the coffee beens floating. I'm a *******. As far as the keg goes, its not open per say, just not fully sealed. The gap is negligible, but it is enough to keep the keg from pressurizing.

I would say that any opening is too much. I use unflavored dental floss for hanging hops in a tea infusion ball in the keg.

Coffee beans sink. I have made a coffee/chocolate stout. I would do a light wieght fishing line and seal that sucker up with some Co2 and go from there.

Back