The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > conciderations for kegging wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Elfmaze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default conciderations for kegging wine

We will be making a 6 gallon batch of wine, Bottle a bit and keg the rest. I have two questions. the acidity in the wine. will it cause problems with the stainless? midwest recomends plastic taps for wine. We could bottle but SWMBO only drinks a glass or so a night.

and i would have to push the wine with nitrogen. Can i also use this nitrogen to do a beergas blend, or is it easier to buy it already mixed?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm kind of interested in doing a 5 gallon batch of Shiraz for my girlfriend and corny kegging it for her as an xmas present. I'll be watching this thread for replies, good luck!

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Old 07-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

I don't think acidity will be a problem. I believe a lot of wineries age in stainless since it does not contribute flavors like oak.

I have no idea about the kegging part. I'd assume it would have to be served at a very low pressure so it doesn't get carbonated. Nitrogen won't dissolve into the wine, so that might be a good gas to push it around. Are you planning red or white? Red might be easier since gasses dont dissolve easily into warmer liquids. You might get slight carbonation on a white that needs to be chilled if you are using C02 to serve.

Last edited by Edcculus; 07-23-2009 at 04:03 PM.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You could serve at 1psi, and turn the gas off after pouring to prevent carbonating the wine.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 07-23-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
You could serve at 1psi, and turn the gas off after pouring to prevent carbonating the wine.
I read today that if CO2 is the option you choose you can serve at very low pressures as suggested by malkore and pull the pressure release valve on the corny to vent any pressure while leaving a blanket of protective CO2 on the wine. This way you still waste gas, but I reckon that you could make a 20oz. paintball tank go a long way if you're serving at 1 psi... Plus most of them come with on/off valve built in.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Quick Reply